Clear all

blues songs

15 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@coreyb)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a blues song or two for me to learn. My grandfather has always encouraged and supported my guitar playing and he just LOVES the blues. So when I go over there for christmas I wanted to play something nice he would appreciate.

if you can recommend something that's around the same difficulty as stairway to heaven that would be perfect...I want to impress him but also be able to learn the song in 3-4 days or so. I should mention I have LOTS of time on my hands too.

thanks guys. :wink:

(@reeve)
Estimable Member

If you have a slide layin around try Traveling Riverside Blues by Robert Johnson (or Zeppelin, whatever version suits ya best). Not terribly complicated, but still fun, and might I mention it also sounds cool as well?

Well, I've had some requests, but I'm going to play anyway.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

ReplyQuote
(@coreyb)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

thanks guys! however I don't have a slide hanging around and cannot afford one at this time...which is too bad because I love that song by zeppelin!

ReplyQuote
(@coreyb)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

i like that song you posted arjen, however, I'm looking for something more bb king style...like not so much rhythm stuff and more lead playing.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

12 bar blues are many. I am working on Confessin Blues covered by the Rolling Stones.
they have covered many songs. you could start there.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@robbie)
Honorable Member

Thanx for the link Arjen, like it and will learn the song.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

A fun, easy one with a slide in Open G tuning is Howlin' Wolf's "Little Red Rooster."

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

I suggest Born Under A Bad Sign, it's a classic and it has been covered by many many people, so you can choose whichever version you like best.

ReplyQuote
(@mrjonesey)
Honorable Member

I suggest Born Under A Bad Sign, it's a classic and it has been covered by many many people, so you can choose whichever version you like best.

Classic. You gotta love John Lee Hooker. You could also try "I'll Play The Blues For You" or "Boom, Boom, Boom."

Another classic which could be easy to learn is "Mustang Sally" as done by Buddy Guy.

"There won't be any money. But when you die, on your death bed, you will receive total conciousness. So, I got that going for me. Which is nice." - Bill Murray, Caddyshack ~~ Michigan Music Dojo - http://michiganmusicdojo.com ~~

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Thanx for the link Arjen, like it and will learn the song.

I'll second that. :)

I printed it out yesterday and downloaded the demo video. Did a bit of work on it and enjoyed it a lot, so will try and stick with it and learn the whole thing for a change, instead of just messing around for a bit and moving on. :roll:

Thanks Arjen. Must visit Little Brother's site more often.

Cheers,

Chris.

ReplyQuote
(@bennett)
Reputable Member

Thanks also for that link, Arjen.

Haven't dabbled too much with the blues yet, but that tune from Little Bro was a lot of fun! 8)

From little things big things grow - Paul Kelly

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Classic. You gotta love John Lee Hooker.

Did you mean Albert King? I don't think John Lee Hooker has ever covered that song ;)

ReplyQuote
(@mrjonesey)
Honorable Member

Classic. You gotta love John Lee Hooker.

Did you mean Albert King? I don't think John Lee Hooker has ever covered that song ;)

Of course you are right. How could I take away what is perhaps Albert Kings most famous song. I don't know of John Lee Hooker ever doing the song, but there is a live CD which has a set from each artist. I have a few songs from the CD, but would love to get the whole album.

Track Listings
1. Born Under a Bad Sign - Albert King
2. Very Thought of You - Albert King
3. I Worked Hard - Albert King
4. When You're Down - Albert King
5. Good Feel - John Lee Hooker
6. Boom Boom - John Lee Hooker
7. It Serves Me Right to Suffer - John Lee Hooker
8. One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer - John Lee Hooker
9. Crawlin' King Snake - John Lee Hooker

Good Stuff!

"There won't be any money. But when you die, on your death bed, you will receive total conciousness. So, I got that going for me. Which is nice." - Bill Murray, Caddyshack ~~ Michigan Music Dojo - http://michiganmusicdojo.com ~~

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

I love Dimples by John Lee Hooker, such a good song!!

ReplyQuote