Clear all

Blues You Can Use

14 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@live2play-play2live)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Ive seen this book at my local music store and book store...it seems to be a very good one..has anybody used it?
if so what makes it so good?

(@wrkngclsshero)
Trusted Member

I am currently working my way through "Blues You Can Use". I personally like it because from what I have seen, it gives you the basic tools to play in easily digestable chunks. The book is well organized, and the lessons never seem to be too daunting. The CD I downloaded and put onto my IPOD and I actually find myself listening to it during my commute to work (daydreaming about playing "Rockin and Rollin (Fast Tempo). I highly recommend the book!!!! :!:

Additionally I picked it up because many of the members of this site rave about it.

That's my $0.02

"A working class hero is something to be..." -J. Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

"Search" is your friend. There are several lengthy threads on the topic. Use "BYCU" as the search term.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

There are a lot of people on this site who absolutely love 'BYCU'.

Here is the thread that will interest you greatly.

Enjoy your blues.

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

"Search" is your friend. There are several lengthy threads on the topic. Use "BYCU" as the search term.

If you didn't find any thread, use Google to search in guitarnoise.com. There are a lot of good comments in those threads.

Nuno

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

I praised BYCU in the other threads and still do! Do a search and you will find all good comments! 8)

ReplyQuote
(@eljoekickass)
Eminent Member

I bought this BYCU at guitar center for a lot of money. I'm usually very lazy and end up never looking at a guitar lesson book, but BYCU is well organized and is focused so i still stick to it.

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

How much did you pay? I paid under $14 on Amazon, which is very cheap, for the amount of lessons plus a CD.

ReplyQuote
(@eljoekickass)
Eminent Member

I meant that the price I bought it for at GC, as opposed to online, was expensive. The amount of lessons it has and the CD make BYCU a great deal. I bought mine for $20. I also noticed that there is a More Blues You Can Use. Has anyone tried this?

ReplyQuote
(@globetro)
Estimable Member

I've heard a lot of good things about this book... one question though, is this book good for guitar in general, or mainly if you're into the blues? I more interested in pop/rock/alternative type music, so I'm wondering if this book would be interesting for me? I do realize that rock is derived from blues, so I think perhaps the book might still be useful...

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

By the way here is the site specific context for google , I love searching google this way:

"bycu" site:guitarnoise.com

If you want to find all of the Martin acoustics for sale on craigslist

"Martin acoustic" site:craigslist.org

ReplyQuote
(@rmorash)
Estimable Member

To answer globetro's question, yes the lessons can be used for other forms of music. I bought it for that reason as most of the lessons are lead runs which you can play over the backing tracks. It has forced me to play at someone else's speed when I practice at home.

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

I've heard a lot of good things about this book... one question though, is this book good for guitar in general, or mainly if you're into the blues? I more interested in pop/rock/alternative type music, so I'm wondering if this book would be interesting for me? I do realize that rock is derived from blues, so I think perhaps the book might still be useful...

My friend, blues IS the foundation for pop/rock/alternative/metal & even a lot of country! I know I am generalizing, so don't everyone beat me up on this, but almost all of the very early rock songs in the 50s were directly related (and even ripped off) from blues music and country. Some of the greatest rock songs were inspired by (read - ripped off) from old blues tunes. Ask most 60s & 70s rock guitar gods what their influences were and they will tell you - the blues greats.

Having a working knowledge of the blues is essential for any rock guitarist - period!

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Having a working knowledge of the blues is essential for any rock guitarist - period!

AMEN Brother!

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote