Clear all

blues

30 Posts
18 Users
0 Likes
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Since this is a blues thread I think I will just post this here instead of creating a new thread.

My instructor and I began working on blues this past week. He showed me the 12-bar blues and I have a pretty good understanding of that. Now I am learning to play the blues scale in different positions. We are using the key of G for starters.

The thing is that there seems to be no pattern to it. And patterns is what helps me remember what to play. Is there a better way to learn how to play this scale up and down the neck? Is it just going to take lots of practice? Also, when we change to a different key then will it be difficult to relearn it or will I basically just be moving my starting position up or down?

Kick me if that didnt make sense.. :) I'll try to re-phrase it.

Jim
Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

It's just moving the starting spot up or down.

For Am, the scale is this (starting on low E)

3-5
3-5-7
5-7
5-7-9
8-10
8-10-12

There is a patern, and once you pick it up, you can move the scale anywhere.

For Gm, instead of starting on the 3rd fret, you'd start on the 1st fret.

So it'd be
1-3
1-3-5
3-5
3-5-7
6-8
6-8-10

(The bold doesn't mean anything , just put it there to help show you a patern)

Bry: You've learnt the scale, but do you know the blues progression? You need a very good understanding of the progression, and you need to know what it sounds like before you can do anything with the scale I think.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@shibby)
Estimable Member

Try playing solos on just one string. This will help you go from shape to shape.

ReplyQuote
(@goodvichunting)
Reputable Member

http://www.freeguitarvideos.com/LJ_Bl/LJ04c.html

blues riffs with video!

Cheers
Vic

Latest addition: Cover of "Don't Panic" by Coldplay
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=502670

ReplyQuote
(@shibby)
Estimable Member

Now find a lick. But here's the trick, try to have the like start on the 5th of the chords you're playing.
So for the measures with A, start with something on E.
For the measures with D7, start with something on A.
For the measuers with E7, start with something on B.

I always tried to stay around the root of the chord. So for measures with A, I would focus on a lick that features the A note. Is this correct? Or are both correct? Or are neither correct and do whatever the heck you want!? What do you guys think?

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

Geez, Wes, the guy says he's pushing 50 and you give him small print to read. You're an evil evil man; consider yourself slapped.

A :-)

:lol:

All these lessons are helping me too... thanks alot... :)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Shibby: Yours is correct as well, and is what people usually try first since it is the most logical.

for those who care I actually managed to begin the next part of my article which should introduce the basics of set rhythms, call&response and the likes to make music with the scale. Maybe we can put all stuff in this topic in an article as well? With nothing on the agenda I should have plenty of time now, especially now the weather here blows. Time for some late July blues... 8)

ReplyQuote
(@shibby)
Estimable Member

or those who care I actually managed to begin the next part of my article

Great arjen your last article was awesome. I really liked the audio you had to go along with it. Can't wait to read your next one!!

ReplyQuote
 bry
(@bry)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

hi thanks for your tips and help
i`ll take a few hours this weekend
and see how i get on.

trying to learn the guitar with my 50 birthday just around the corner SH*T it`s come and gone

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Now find a lick. But here's the trick, try to have the like start on the 5th of the chords you're playing.
So for the measures with A, start with something on E.
For the measures with D7, start with something on A.
For the measuers with E7, start with something on B.

I always tried to stay around the root of the chord. So for measures with A, I would focus on a lick that features the A note. Is this correct? Or are both correct? Or are neither correct and do whatever the heck you want!? What do you guys think?

Shibby what you do there is "correct" as well (although I'd take issue with the term 'correct' this is music, the question is if it sounds good not if it fits someone's rules).

However, focusing on the root will be even more "sterile" sounding than starting on the 5th. It works, it doesn't sound bad at all, but it tends to be very bland and uninteresting after a few bars.

For my students we tend not to get to this stuff until they have the major scale under their belts, so I start off with 5ths. If finding a 5th is not something you can do easily, then stick to roots and work on your scales ;)

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Sorry about the small print everyone. I wrote the lesson in Word with size 10 font (like this). I used Code like I have in the past, but it came out terrible. I had to edit it about 25 times and reduce the font for it to come out at all.

And I have no idea what it looks like on other people's computers. I used to look at tabs at home and later at work and they would be quite different. So I hope at least everything came out lined up properly.

The reason I gave a lesson on Bends was because the question was "what do I do with this Pentatonic scale to play the blues?". So, I didn't put anything about chords or progressions.

But it is true. You CANNOT play the Blues without bending those strings! :twisted:

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Hey Wes. No apologies needed I dont think. Great lesson and was easy enough to fix. Thanks to everyone else for my added question. Hope I didnt hijack the thread TOO much. :oops:

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@rockerman)
Reputable Member

my teacher and i are working on improvising using the blues scales in the key of e minor, he told me to try to jam over some johnny winter songs
so i got the best of cd, never really listened to him before, man is he awesome, not sure how good i'm doing, but it sure is fun :)

ReplyQuote
(@clideguitar)
Reputable Member

These are really easy:
http://www.playguitarmagazine.com/article/PG6/PG6,5500,LESSONS-1.asp

BJ

ReplyQuote
(@silenus)
Eminent Member

Thanks for those links...:D
Never saw it so clearly explained (+ with soundclips)

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2