Clear all

Bought a method book

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I broke down and bought a Blues guitar method book.

I've really enjoyed listening to alot of the stuff that has been posted that has a good blues feel to it, especially Dogbite's stuff, and thought that I should at least give it a go.

So I bought the House of Blues method book that has 2 DVD's and 2 Cd's with lessons and backing tracks to play over. Seems to have enough concepts for the beginner, and gradually gives you more and more without making you feel overwhelmed.

I've been messing around with it for a couple days now (good to finally get my electric guitar out), and I've got to say, it seems pretty weird to be happy playing blues :lol:

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

(@roundi)
Estimable Member

I got Beginner Blues by D Hamburger a couple of months ago and have been picking away at it. I enjoy it a lot it Blues seems to be so much fun to play. You get good bang for your buck I guess. Now I want to find some appropriate blues songs to play along with. I worked on "Before You Accuse Me" a while back and I will have to dust off that lesson again. Currently I am working on a couple of Intros and Turnarounds which are all interesting and I begin to realize that I have heard these before in a bunch of songs. I also discovered "Riverboat Song" by JJ Cale as a fun song to play along with.

I almost bought that House of Blues Book too, I liked the idea of more backing tracks etc. I am curious to hear what you think of the book.

I suppose I am a new Blues convert now.

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

So far it's pretty good. The online stuff is what sold me on the book when I got it, so we'll see how well that is, I haven't registered for it.

I'll post an exercise from it when I get a chance to.

ReplyQuote
(@bluezoldy)
Reputable Member

So far it's pretty good. The online stuff is what sold me on the book when I got it, so we'll see how well that is, I haven't registered for it.

I'll post an exercise from it when I get a chance to.

Yes, they have lots of online stuff including a forum for registered members (you won't see all the forums until you've registered your CDs).

http://www.rockhousemethod.com/MB/MBforums.aspx

♪♫ Ron ♪♫

http://www.myspace.com/bluemountainsblues

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Yes, they have lots of online stuff including a forum for registered members (you won't see all the forums until you've registered your CDs).

Thanks! I'll have to remember to register my CD's.

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

IMHO the best instruction book for blues is "Blues you can use" by John Ganapes. Really it is a series of book, I only finished the first book. There is a lot of good stuff there.

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Nuno, I'll have to see if I can find it at a shop once I'm done going through this book.

ReplyQuote