9 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Ok ok

I asked the question on brands ..

This time I want to know when I go into a store and look at guitars , it is reasonable to ask the sales people to tune the instruments before I have a little play ? Last time I was in the shop the salesman said this is a nice guitar for a beginner , then he strummed it and said " oh it's not in tune though " .

How can I possibly know with out my electronic tuner if it's out of tune , and shouldn't guitars be stored after use in tune ? I was told months ago always tune my guitar after I finish playing ...

I know for a fact the same very guitar was tuned on Thursday as my brother went in and did it when he looked at it , he ( my brother said it was a very guitar but I need to play it for myself for the feel and action
( what ever that means )

My little brother also said if it don't feel right it's not right for me .. sounds good ..

I can't get to the store at the same time as my brother as we have very aweful hours at work , just looking for some advise here

Cheers
Hilch :?:

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

When I bought mine, the salesman tuned it for me. He plugged it into an electric tuner and tuned it before handing it to me to try it.

ReplyQuote
(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member

Either ask them to tune it or get them to lend you a tuner. They should be more than happy to oblige.

It is a good idea to have it tuned while your there, in case it is tuned down a half step. I have heard of this being done. Less tension and of course easier to play. Of course that may be an urban myth.

Cheers,

Max

ReplyQuote
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

mmmm thanks OWA

Maybe a diferent sales person or different store if they won't tune it for me ...

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

ReplyQuote
 gene
(@gene)
Estimable Member

Hilch, nothing wrong with taking your tuner in with you.

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

When I was shopping for a guitar, none of them were in tune. But to me that was okay. I would then get a chance to see how well it would tune and if it would stay in tune after getting it there. You'll get the full scope of the guitar not only from playing it but attempting to tune it yourself. If YOU can't tune it now it may not be the guitar for you. Or there may be something wrong with it.

So go to the store hoping it's out of tune so you can try that aspect as well.

If you don't have a tuner, what better time to try one out. :D

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

As already stated I would have thought it is perfectly reasonable to ask the store to tune the guitar before trying it out. At my local store they automatically ask if you would like them to tune it for you before you try it. If you decide to buy the guitar they will ask if you want the display model or one from the stockroom. If you ask for one from the stockroom they will take it out of the box and tune that for you as well. They also ask if you would like to try the one from the stock room before you leave the shop.

Just bought my eleven year old son his first guitar yesterday. Having tested one out we opted to take one from the stockroom. The guy behind the counter took it out of the box and tuned it by ear and told us that "it was close enough for rock n roll". :lol:

When we got home the first thing I did was to teach my son how to tune his new instrument and according to my tuner it was quite a way out.
:shock: :?

I'm guessing he tuned it to the low E so it sounded ok but if the low E was slightly out it puts the whole lot out.

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

ReplyQuote
(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

Hilch,
as a general shopping tip, you are doing them the favour by considering spending your money at their store. If they can't be bothered tuning or helping in other ways, just go somewhere else. I personally would try the ones I like, then ask them to match prices on net, or at least get closer to them. I know most people talk about a guitar feeling 'right' etc, but as a beginner, I have no idea so looked for a style I likedknew (Squier Strat), asked a guy who could play if it was ok and then bought it and it seems fine to me. Action etc is less easy to check for a beginner as I bought a Squire acoustic and my playing friend likes it but I find it too hard to play from down the neck!
Sorry, bit of a ramble! Basically remember they should be earning the right to receive your custom, not the other way round.
Jim

ReplyQuote
(@hanzo)
Trusted Member

I would think they should most definately tune up and let you play anything you want. I got treated like things were beyond my grasp a bit at Guitar center when I was shopping for my first guitar and it made me uncomfortable as I really wanted things to be right for my first time. I ended up just leaving and going to a little shop across town. There they let me play with all kinds of guitars (even a $2800 les paul :shock: ) just so I'd have a better idea of what all the guitars were about. I ended up trying about 8 guitars and finally settled on a nice MIM telecaster. Everything on the floor had already been setup and they checked each one on a tuner if I asked them. If I had a question I just asked it, no matter how silly it seemed. Realizing that they weren't going to be judgemental that I didn't know what a single coil pick up was, or that my "playing" consisted of trying the only 3 open chords knew at the time really opened the door for me towards finding what I really wanted.

I guess my point is just don't be intimidated by the process. If you don't feel 100% confident in it don't buy it. Being a new person I really didn't know much but I just figured that this is a big purchase for me and I'm not going to just settle for whatever the salesman pushes in my face and then wanders off. A good shop should help you find the right guitar for YOU, not just what's a good guitar for an imaginary "beginner". I ended up spending more than I planned, but I feel confident knowing I got a good guitar and it's setup right to start with and feels good to ME.

ReplyQuote