Notifications
Clear all

Buzz not from the strings

6 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@zander)
Topic starter  

When I turn my amp on their is a buzz. If I turn the volume off . The buzzing is loud enough to be very annoying and is almost as loud as when I play the strings. If I touch the output jack the buzzing stops. I am not playing close to a tv crt or flourescent lights. I have no idea what is going on and would really like to stop it.

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Are you playing a guitar with single coil pickups? Close to a CRT monitor, TV or fluorescent lights, perhaps?

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@fender-bender)
Trusted Member

could it be a bad cable? if you unplug (from the amp end) the cable to the guitar - does that effect it?

ReplyQuote
(@jeffster1)
Reputable Member

Is your amp close to a power bar, or plugged into an outlet with a lot of other things? Try another outlet.

ReplyQuote
(@big-lar)
Estimable Member

Grounding comes to mind. When you touch the jack, the sound stops. This seems like you are giving the feedback an alternative path to the ground. I agree with the alternate plug suggestion. Also, try another cable if you have one.

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

Grounding comes to mind. When you touch the jack, the sound stops. This seems like you are giving the feedback an alternative path to the ground. I agree with the alternate plug suggestion. Also, try another cable if you have one.
I think it's actually the opposite. When you touch the jack you are grounding yourself and any EM noise you generate has a route to ground. When you don't touch ground that noise you are generating gets into the guitar's circuits and causes noise. Some guitar are more susceptible than others. Shielding the control cavity is the way to solve this.

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote