Clear all

buzzing...

9 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@amira)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

the D/4th string on my guitar is buzzing... i've tuned and tuned it and it's not that... help. :cry:

Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Did you just change the strings?

Electric or Acoustic?

ReplyQuote
(@doug_c)
Reputable Member

There are several possible causes for an unwanted buzz when playing guitar. Some of them are things we might not even think of, but all of them can be corrected, most of them fairly easily.
Mike's questions are a good start to diagnosing it. Also, (approximately) how old is that guitar?

ReplyQuote
(@amira)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

it's an old second hand acoustic work-horse with new (steel) strings... but it's only just started buzzing today... i've had it about three weeks...

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Just started buzzing today for the first time?

That makes me suspect that you might have bumped this string against one of the frets and dented it upward "^". If this happens the string will touch the next fret up and buzz. Look up and down the string and see if it is bent upward somewhere.

Does the string buzz when you play it open, or does it buzz when you fret it at some particular fret?

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

How old are the strings? Are they clean? Has any of the frets moved or dented from being hit against something. I once had a bass player turn as he walked away and a tuner on his bass did a number on a fret. I made it through the song and changed guitars.

joe

ReplyQuote
(@doug_c)
Reputable Member

How old are the strings? Are they clean? Has any of the frets moved or dented from being hit against something. I once had a bass player turn as he walked away and a tuner on his bass did a number on a fret. I made it through the song and changed guitars.OUCH! Hence the expression, "bass player in a china shop." :shock:
These guys have all asked some good questions towards tracking down the source. Since it's a little older guitar (probably past any 5 year/50,000 note warranty), various parts may have loosened up. There could also be some (even a tiny amount) of "guck" in one or more of the slots in the nut.
Good site for tracking down and rooting out an annoying buzz: http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/pagelist.html . Under Departments, click on Instrument "Owners Manuals", then Steel String Guitar Manual. Under Troubleshooting and Repair, check out Buzz Diagnosis.
Let us know if you get it squared away.

ReplyQuote
(@cyranodb)
Estimable Member

Mind if I insert a question...did you put a different gauge string on the guitar from the one that were on there?? Has the guitar had a "set-up"? I'm told, but I don't know how accurate this is, that the guitar's neck can be effected if it is set up for a different gauge string so I was wondering if this is the case. Or I can be full of baloney and not knowing what I'm talking about since i'm a beginner too :)

"I use heavy strings, tune low, play hard and floor it. Floor it, that's a technical term." - SRV

ReplyQuote
(@amira)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

ok panic over... the buzzing has mysteriously stopped again. :D but also :?

it was only buzzing when played open... i showed my guitar to my teacher when i got it and he checked it over and said it was a fine old work-horse that would do me fine until i had enough money to buy a better one. what a diplomat :wink:

i think the gauge of the string is an interesting idea... and might be the problem... it kind of looks heavy... but what do i know i've only been playing a couple of months.... but if it is the gauge, why then should it a) only just appear now and b) disappear again?

perhaps it was dented? who knows.

will it return? who knows... it's a mystery 8)

bloody annoying one though :evil:

I'm just counting the days down till my 40th birthday in the summer when i've promised to buy myself a new guitar. :D :D

thanks for your support... i'll bear in mind the possibilities if it returns and ask my teacher to have another look....

ReplyQuote