Clear all

Buzzing Low E on 3rd fret

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@mpjbell)
Topic starter  

Hi Guys,
I am a complete Newb and I am having a problem. I seem to get a buzzing sound on the 3rd fret of the Low E. No matter how hard I press without sharpening the sound this string buzzes. It is only this one string and only on the 3rd fret.

Do I have a bad string or may there be something else wrong here. The guitar came with an extra set of strings but I don't know if should be bying something better. Recomendations?

This is on an Epiphone PR-4E Accoustic/Electric and its a week old.

Regards,

~Mark

(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

If the guitar came with light strings, you could go with a new set of mediums. Factory strings if non-brand-name are not always the best anyhow. But Epi's always get about a 17 point inspection Stateside?

Did the weather/temperature warm significantly since you got it? Keep it cooler then, or in a case.

Anyhow, slightly thicker strings should pull the neck up a bit and will unfortunately raise the action, but that may solve the buzzing problem.

Sometimes a particular note rattles a tuner or a truss rod. Check that by detuning or raising the tuning half a pitch, and then fret the 3rd. See if it makes a difference.

The likeliest thing is that you have a higher fret somewhere up on the fretboard and there is a slight collision between the string and the crown of the high fret, which again would call for a little more bow in the neck or a thicker guage of string, unless you can slacken the truss rod just a bit, yourself. Or have it checked under warranty, if convenient.

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Or have it checked under warranty, if convenient.
That would get my vote.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@mpjbell)
Topic starter  

Thanks Guys,

I will try to get it back to Guitar Center today

~Mark

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

There's no way of telling how long the current strings have been on the guitar. It may be simply that the strings have been on for months and months and need changing. I always ask for fresh strings and a check of the setup before I leave the store with the guitar.

If that doesn't correct the problem, then you need to have a tech look at it.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@mpjbell)
Topic starter  

Problem solved with a new guitar. They tried fiddling with it but couldn't make it any better

~Mark

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Problem solved with a new guitar. They tried fiddling with it but couldn't make it any better

That's good. :D

Thanks for letting us know.

Good luck with the new guitar and enjoy!

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote