Clear all

Can you ID this guitar, if possible?

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@starbucks)
Topic starter  

Hey all,

As you now know, I'm just starting out learning to play.

However, I'm one of those people who needs to know as much as possible as fast as possible. So naturally, one of the first things I'm doing is researching all about the different types of guitar, strings, picks etc.

I'm wondering if anyone here knows anything about the guitar I bought as my starter.

Here's what I know:

The name on the guitar is 'Madera', it was brand new when I bought it (still had the cellophane on the pick guard), pretty cheap (only paid $80), and the model number on the inside is: LD41/RB

Here's a few pics:

Right now I can't seem to find any info online about this manufacturer or brand, which leads me to believe that it must be some type of one-off or knock-off brand. I mean, it sounds pretty decent to me, but without having any experience to compare it to, it's hard know for sure.

Anyone have any comments?

Thanks!

(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Well, yeah, just a comment, or comments? :D

It seems very, very nice, and an excellent value. I totally believe that it sounds and plays good.

That's probably a version of, or re-badging of your basic Johnson, with a unique pick guard and bridge shape, and some form of extra-decorative headstock. I would put Montana and Beaver Creek in the same family, depending on time period, where you live, and what is available to your retailers, suppliers, sometimes giant Catalogue or Big Box stores. Silvertone, and formerly Regal brand kind of fits in there too. Possibly Yamaha's Eterna marque as well. They tend to come off the same production line, with subtle differences, certainly with different tampo graphic names, and stickers.

Here's a pic of the current Johnson's at one outlet; I've seen newer fancier ones as well, trying to look more like Martin.

Guitar companies have known the value of using Spanish-sounding names for awhile. It started with the genius of Hoshino Japan creating the brand name Ibanez, followed by El Degas, Alvarez and most notably Cort - arguably the largest manufacturer on the planet; they morphed their brand Cor-Tek into Cortez, or vice versa! :lol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cort_Guitars and more if interested, trying to go independent, instead of a jobber... http://www.cortguitar.com/

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

'Madera' is 'wood' in Spanish.

I prefer the natural finish but it look pretty good in red, too! The action seems very low. Congrats!

ReplyQuote
(@starbucks)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the responses guys!

Good to know I didn't get a complete junker. :)

Cheers!

ReplyQuote