Skip to content
Can't afford a teac...

Notifications
Clear all

Can't afford a teacher, so maybe someone here can help.

16 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@mikel33)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hello..

I've been playing guitar now for two weeks. I want to tell you what I know, and I'm hoping someone can tell me what I should start working on.

I know the basic scale patters for major, minor, blues, and all five patterns for the pentatonics. I know barre chords, and I've recently learned how to play 9th and 13th with them (not M9th and M13).

I practice many hours a day, so if someone could please direct me to what I should start learning I would appreciate it. I'm not really into learning songs yet because I'm more concerned with improving my skills. Any advice would be appreciated! Thank you

-Mike

(@ghostnoter)
Eminent Member

im selftaught, personally i think you should learn all if the chords first, then worry about scales, try getting some guitar books, there some really handy stuff, but before the sscales i forgot to add that you should learn all the techniques first, Hammer-ons, pull-offs, slides, legato, harmonics, pinch harmonics etc.

Hope this helps.

ReplyQuote
(@ballybiker)
Honorable Member

where to start :?: ....the lessons on here are a good start :) ....do you not have a friend who can guide you :?:

what did the drummer get on his I.Q. test?....

Drool

http://www.myspace.com/ballybiker

ReplyQuote
(@chris_skilton)
Trusted Member

Now..... where can u start. I used to be taught by a teacher for two years but they teach you all of the crappy grades and stuff. But now i am self tought and i buy guitar books. I have a Red Hot Chilis guitar tab book and i learn a lot from that. So if u learn the tabs and chords u will be fine. 8) :lol:

Woot Woot!!

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

I practice many hours a day, so if someone could please direct me to what I should start learning I would appreciate it. I'm not really into learning songs yet because I'm more concerned with improving my skills. Any advice would be appreciated! Thank you
You easily know enough to just pick a subject that interests you and go for it - that's the great thing about music, there are almost unlimited paths to take through it all and beyond the basics, pretty much any order is good. What do you want to learn?

Also, you can improve your skill while playing songs. No one said you have to pick easy songs to learn... :wink:

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@mikel33)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

No, I don't know anyone that plays guitar. Of course I'd like to someday.

ReplyQuote
(@mikel33)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

well.. my goal is to be able to play fast and solo in any key... and of course someday the entire fretboard. I really want to know the caged system as well, but I can't seem to find a good site on that.

ReplyQuote
(@ghostnoter)
Eminent Member

ive been playing 2 years an i can play trivium shredding solos, half way through anthem (we are the fire) at the moment, there are some great guides on here, ive only just in the past weeks started using the forums, and ive already improved by just using people tips!

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Mikel: Do you have a conservatory nearby? If so ask if some of the students are looking for people to practice their teaching-skills on. It's usually either free or very cheap and those people will know enough to teach you all kinds of things.

ReplyQuote
(@clockworked)
Reputable Member

well.. my goal is to be able to play fast and solo in any key... and of course someday the entire fretboard. I really want to know the caged system as well, but I can't seem to find a good site on that.

If you want to be a master shred guitarist you should probably start here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odQb8ylYstg

Used to be, was a part of me felt like hiding.. but now it comes through. Comes through to you.

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

I'd start playing songs now. I find with students that the thing which gets them moving forward quickest is to play something early on - anything, it doesn't matter what so long as it's got a couple of chords and they might have heard of it.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Welcome

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@lavadave)
Trusted Member

Why do you want to play guitar just to learn exercises? I can't believe that your goal is, "to be able to play fast and solo in any key... and of course someday the entire fretboard. I really want to know the caged system as well." Hopefully you have some hope to make some MUSIC. Otherwise you're probably better off spending your time trying to figure out what music you want to make rather than learning that there even is something called the CAGED system. I'd recommend starting with buying a CD.

ReplyQuote
(@mikel33)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Of course I want to make music... But i'm not talking about making music here.. that's not what my post is about. I'm talking about guitar techniqes. I write music all the time http://www.michaellongmusic.com .. So maybe you can belive now that my goal is to play guitar well.. AFTER I can play.. I want to use it to WRITE. Sorry to sound rude. I'm not... but please don't tell me what my guitar goals are and are not. Writing music is not a guitar technique goal... its a musical goal.

And btw.. I think I do own a CD. I'll have to take a look around.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

yes it's great to be able to write your own songs and play them as well - but I'll go with the "play some songs" theme. I wanted to learn guitar to play songs - I found the best practise for me was learning a song (better still, a whole bunch of songs) and playing along with them - put the CD on and strum.

If nothing else, it's great practise for your timing....and you'll pick up, consciously or subconsciously, an understanding of song dynamics....

:D :D :D

Vic.

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2