Notifications
Clear all

Capo question

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@mistydawn)
Topic starter  

My ensemble wants to play Silent Night in B flat. (And they want to sing it in German, too, :roll: ) It's not a key I'm good at on guitar. Where would I put the capo if I want to use key of C chording? Is there a better choice? Capo use has always confused me a bit, even after skimming over Hodges GN article. I haven't visited here in a long time. I got a hammered dulcimer last xmas and have been focusing on that. But I still play some basic, rythym guitar.
Peace & harmony.

(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Why not put the capo on the third fret and then play the chords for the song in the key of G?

Here's the chords for playing it in G:

Silent Night.

Now when you play with the capo on the third fret, the song will sound in the key of Bb even though you're playing it in G.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

The rule of thumb is: capo up, chord down.

You're in Bb to start with - primary chords Bb, Eb, and F.

If you go up one fret with the capo, the chords move down one - to A, D, and E.

Move up 3 = G, C, D
Move up 5 - F, Bb, C
Move up 6 = E, A, B

etc. - just pick the chords you want. keeping the C fingering would be tough, because you'd have to capo at 10... probably sound more like a mandolin than a guitar at that point :)

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@mistydawn)
Topic starter  

Thanks for that simple & understandable explanation, Noteboat. I should be able to remember that phrase but perhaps I'll save it somewhere just in case.

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

The rule of thumb is: capo up, chord down.

You're in Bb to start with - primary chords Bb, Eb, and F.

If you go up one fret with the capo, the chords move down one - to A, D, and E.

Move up 3 = G, C, D
Move up 5 - F, Bb, C
Move up 6 = E, A, B

etc. - just pick the chords you want. keeping the C fingering would be tough, because you'd have to capo at 10... probably sound more like a mandolin than a guitar at that point :)
So in your first example your using the first position fingerings for A,D, and E to get Bb, Eb, and F?

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Yes, exactly. You've moved the capo to the first fret, so all the chords move down a half step - Bb becomes A, etc.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote