Clear all

Capture TAB while playing a recording

14 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@specialsof)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I thought that Band in Box might do this, but if it can I can't figure it out.

Is there a piece of software that will capture what is being playing through a sound card (or MIDI), then create guitar TAB from that? I have a couple simple guitar recordings I would like to do that with.

(@alangreen)

Powertab will produce Tab from a MIDI file, and it's a freebie

http://www.power-tab.net/guitar.php

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Note that such tabs won't always give the ideal fingering for you. There are programs that transform MP3 into MIDI but they don't work much at all. Your best bet is to train your ear, you're gonna need it further down the road anyway.

ReplyQuote
(@specialsof)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks guys for the help and advice.

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Not quite the same thing, but often a good starting point is Digital Music Mentor - it'll work out chords and bass lines from an MP3. It's not hugely accurate, but considering the difficulty of the task it performs wonders. It's often close enough that it doesn't take much work to plug the last few gaps. There's a free trial I think.

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@specialsof)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Misanthrope. That Digital Music Mentor did the trick for me.

ReplyQuote
(@clazon)
Honorable Member

Not quite the same thing, but often a good starting point is Digital Music Mentor - it'll work out chords and bass lines from an MP3. It's not hugely accurate, but considering the difficulty of the task it performs wonders. It's often close enough that it doesn't take much work to plug the last few gaps. There's a free trial I think.

Any ideas how long the preview lasts?

I can't see it on the page anywhere and I don't want to start using it until I've compiled a list of tracks.

"Today is what it means to be young..."

(Radiohead, RHCP, Jimi Hendrix - the big 3)

ReplyQuote
(@mogal)
Trusted Member

Hey, thank God for this forum! I haven't even heard of anything that does this sort of thing. I am definitely going to check it out. I have the Tascam Guitar trainer, and use that to help me figure out tabs by ear. It is easier than without it, but it sure does involve a lot of time and effort doing it all by ear. Thanks for the help guys!

MoGal

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Any ideas how long the preview lasts?

I can't see it on the page anywhere and I don't want to start using it until I've compiled a list of tracks.
The trial doesn't let you print or save, and won't do more than 20 seconds of a track, but I don't think it ever runs out... mine hasn't, and I've had it installed for a couple of months.

ReplyQuote
(@mogal)
Trusted Member

Well, I just installed the trial version, and it looks like it gives only chords, not actually tabs for solos or licks. Is that true - only chords or bass lines?

MoGal

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Yep, only chords and bass, sorry if I gave the wrong impression! I imagine that bass is easier to tab for programatically as you can cut off frequencies above a certain limit to make the job easier...

ReplyQuote
(@mogal)
Trusted Member

yeah, well I wrote them a note through their contact form and I got an autoreply saying my email was an auto mailer only used for mail daemons (whatever that means). Maybe they won't answer your question unless you purchase the product! Anyway, they said in their FAQ section at Sienzo that guitar tab (riffs, solos, etc) was coming hopefully by the fall of 2006, but it doesn't look like that has happened. In any event, if anyone knows of a program that will actually give the detailed guitar tabs (more than just the chords) let me know.

MoGal

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

I think they might be being a tad overambitious myself, but fingers crossed :)

ReplyQuote
(@specialsof)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

That looks like a terrific bundle price if purchasing this along with Band in Box as a combo.

ReplyQuote