Clear all

changeing elec. guitar strings

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@rag_doll_92)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

How do I do it, whats the diffrence in types? whats my best by, do I go down to Sam Goody or can I get off at Walmart?

Join the fight to stop global warming...
Join the virtual march at: http://www.stopglobalwarming.org
We CAN make a diffrence!

(@dagwood)
Noble Member

I'd find a local music/guitar store, Ask them to size the strings on yours and buy a pack or two from them. Also ask if they could change them and let you watch.

You'll do things here, one, have someone SHOW you how to do it.. (its much easier than trying to explain it here or point you to a web site when you have no idea what it is).

Two, You'll start a relationship with the local music store. In my opinion I think its important to do that. There's times I have nothing to do so I'll go down and hang out for a few and if nothing by a $3 or $5 pack of strings or something. Most of the local shops are a great resource of knowledge and information, and who knows as you get your music, you may be able to find some GEMS of used equipment at a great price.

And Welcome to Guitar Noise... almost forgot.

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

For your first string change you should have it done...that way they can set up the guitar for your string choice. For electric I'd go with either .09's or .10's (this is the size of the high E string). Whenever you change sizes you usually have to have the guitar set up again since you are cvhanging the thickness of the string.

Once you know the size strings you are using then I always use this method. It has never failed me yet!

ReplyQuote
(@josephlefty)
Reputable Member

I don't think it is complicated and feel it should be done by the player, gonna have to do it sooner or later anyway. They are cheap, be prepared to break a high E string once in a while in the beginning. Have a couple cheap sets on hand. Go with a mid-size.

But that is just my opinion, not trying to conflict with anyone here. I am a hands-on person and tinker with everything and do all my own work on just about everything. Live and learn.

Someone here has it on their website, a good article on it, it may even be this one! I don't remember where I read stuff anymore, I have read so much. Do read an article on it, even direction matters, I bought a used guitar once with a broken nut because the low E was wound backwards and broke the end off of it.

If it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing.

ReplyQuote
(@rag_doll_92)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thank you very much, as a newbie to this, you don't know how much you've helped me...well, ya might...but still thanks 8)

Join the fight to stop global warming...
Join the virtual march at: http://www.stopglobalwarming.org
We CAN make a diffrence!

ReplyQuote