Clear all

Changing betweend chords faster

22 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
(@mhill54)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hi im sorta new here ( i have been reading but this is the first post), I was wondering if you guys have any tips on switching between chords faster or ways to make yourself faster. That seems to be the biggest problem I am having right now.

sirN
(@sirn)
Reputable Member

Practice, practice, practice.

That is the only answer.

Afterwards, you may find that certain chord changes can go smoother and quicker than others depending on the inversion. For instance, I can play a G - D by playing an open G then my D is played open except the F# is on the 6th string instead of the first. Or a G5 can go quickly to a C5 by dropping your fingers down a string. But you will want to be able to eventually play any chord as quickly as the next.

check out my website for good recording/playing info

ReplyQuote
(@david-m1)
Estimable Member

Pick two chords you want to practice swithching between, and practice slow BUT STEADY changes, starting slow will build accuracy with finger placement and allow your brain and hand the time they need to coordinate what each other is doing.

SLOW and steady rythum, add speed gradually... Play no faster than you are able to keep up a steady rythum.

Eventually, you will make changes without thinking or looking at where you fingers need to go, but the key IMHO is starting out slowly at first.

ReplyQuote
 300m
(@300m)
Reputable Member

Second the above. Also try with a metronone and SLOWLY increase the beat. When you make a mistiake go back till you can play clean. Relearning old mistake into correct moves is more of a pain!!

John M

ReplyQuote
(@andyobell)

Just practice, thats all really. Have a chord book or sheet to hand and just study the common ones goinf from one to other slowly and eventually it will just happen. I've only been playing a matter of 6 months but you will see, it just happens.

Gagging top learn guitar.

ReplyQuote
(@quarterfront)
Reputable Member

A friend of mine suggested this technique for practicing chord changes:

As others have said, above, start out slowly and pick up speed only when you have the accuracy to do it...

1) Play the first chord two times.
2) Shift to the second chord and play it two times.
3) Shift back to the first chord shape, moved up one fret. Don't worry about it sounding wrong because the open strings are now out of tune, just get the shape right. Play the chord twice.
4) Shift to the second chord shape, moved up a fret, play it twice.
5) Again, move up a fret and shift to the first chord shape, play twice.

For clarity, example:

A,A,E,E, A shape up a fret, A shape up a fret, E shape up a fret, E shape up a fret, A shape up 2 frets, A shape up 2 frets, E shape up 2 frets, E shape up 2 frets, A shape up 3 frets, etc....

Do this working up as high as you can go on the fretboard. Then work your way back down. The idea is to get the relationship of the two chord shapes, independent of sound or fretboard position, burned into your muscle memory.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Say you want to go from A to E, play A - just simple strumming to whatever pattern makes you feel comfortable, without having to think about it. Whilst you're strumming A, get the image of the E chord in your head - don't change until you have the E chord and where your fingers are going to go fixed in your mind. Once you know, cleaqrly, what you're going to do, do it.

Now play E until the A is clear in your mind, then go to A.

Slow but sure progress is the answer.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member

Mhill54

Another thing that will speed you up is to closely examine which fingers DON'T have to move to make that change.

For instance, going from a D xx0232 to a G 32033 - note that the B string is fretted on the 3rd fret for both chords. Knowing this, you can leave that finger in place and use it as a lever when changing.

This often helps,

Kind regards

Matt

ReplyQuote
(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member

Besides not moving unnessicary fingers always try to use minimum finger movements and that includes lifting the fingers. Just lift enough to be sure to clear the strings for movement. Most guys will tell you that they are faster and more accurate on a guitar with a nice low action.

Cheers,

Max

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Here's a chord progression were you don't have to move your ring finger. Play the G, lift your Index and Middle fingers both over a string to play the second chord strum that, now lift your Index and middle fingers over to the last chord. You can even start on the D chord and finish on the G chord. You'll hear this progression in many songs.

.......First chord
E|---|---|-@|---|---|---
B|---|---|-@|---|---|---
G|---|---|---|---|---|---
D|---|---|---|---|---|---
A|---|-@|---|---|---|---
E|---|---|-@|---|---|---

........Second chord
E|---|---|---|---|---|---
B|---|---|-@|---|---|---
G|---|---|---|---|---|---
D|---|-@|---|---|---|---
A|---|---|-@|---|---|---

.......Third chord
E|---|.@|---|---|---|---
B|---|---|.@|---|---|---
G|---|.@|---|---|---|---
D|---|---|---|---|---|---
A|---|---|---|---|---|---

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@brian-f)
Estimable Member

Hey Joe, in the progression you listed, what is that middle chord btwn G and D?

Also, to confirm everything thats already been said, I'v eonly been at it for a few months, and I think i spend an entire month, 15 mins per night, working on the C to G change. The advice that worked best for me was to work slowly and really envision in your mind where your fingers would end up on the next chord. Then i found out about the "real" G and I back at it, trying to get that pinky involved.

B

ReplyQuote
(@just-a-learner)
Eminent Member

forrok_star

Excuse me for asking, I don't mean to be rude but what is the chord in the middle.I hav'nt played long.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

forget fast.play it slow and u will find speed.fast is for nuts

ReplyQuote
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

hi there I am only new at this guitar playing thing to , but I have found if you put a capo on the 3rd fret you can learn the chords easier as the frets are closer together , this actually helps you getting faster . Well it worked for me I am proud to say I can go from 5 different chords now and not lose my rhythm.

My top 5 chords I play in my own little tune are G , C , D , E , A , EM with metronome set at 90

My next mission is to start to learn more difficult chords such as F , B

and bar chords they have me stumped at the moment can not for the life of me get my index finger straight , everyone tells to persist with it and I am .

I am proud to say I am 42 years old I picked a guitar up 6 months ago and I can not believe how hard it is or how enjoyable it is either the fun out ways the hard parts 1000 times and I am actually making music with it . Songs such Leaving on a Jet air plane , Kiss an angel good morning
well sort of ( I have no sense of tune but I am sure that will come )

hope I have helped you like so many have helped me

never , never let the bad days get you down the good ones are worth it

cheers :D

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

ReplyQuote
(@just-a-learner)
Eminent Member

Hilch,

Please explain how a capo can help to enhance muscle memory in regards to finger movement. :? Truly concerned.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2