Changing gauges- 13s to 10s. Possible?

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@shadyharrison)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hi, all,

My electro-acoustic is currently strung with 13s. I wondered whether it was possible to put a set of electric 10s on it when I next change the strings (looking at Wednesday.) How likely is it that a setup could be needed?

Thanks,

Shady

Take care,

Casey

(@gosurf80)
Eminent Member

very likely depending on how well the guitar was set up in the first place. The major factors will be greatly reduced tension on the neck and the size of the nut slots. With those two factors combined, you may end up with some extra fret noise.

But you never know, if it's set up poorly for 13s, the 10s may be a perfect fit.

ReplyQuote
(@shadyharrison)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks, due to concerns over exactly that, when I went to purchase the new strings, I bought a packet of 12s instead of the 10s, because I've heard it's easier to go down one gauge than three.

Take care,

Casey

ReplyQuote
(@davem)
Estimable Member

I used to go with the lighter gauge strings and now I can't understand why. I love those thicker strings. I guess it's all preference. Just check the neck to see that it's not bending away from the strings at the nut. You may have to adjust the truss rod then. Just do 1/4 turn and see how that goes after a day.

Dave

Sometimes in life you get shown the light,
In the strangest of places if you look at it right.

ReplyQuote
(@shadyharrison)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I've got a set of 10s on there now, and it plays like a dream. :)

Take care,

Casey

ReplyQuote
(@mrodgers)
Trusted Member

How often would 10s be expected to last? I tend not to change my strings until they break because a) I stink and can't actually play anything so I'm just trying to learn technique and stuff right now rather than worry about how it sounds, b) I like bends and I have 12s I think on it now. Hard for me to bend though they are ancient strings now (easier to bend because either the fingers/hand is getting stronger or the strings are so worn out it's easy, I don't know which.) c) I had 11s I think and they broke quite quickly on the higher strings.

ReplyQuote
(@shadyharrison)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Tens would last just about as long as any other set...so 3-4 months...I guess. You'd have to get the experts in on that one, although I've been playing 7 years, I just change mine when they start to sound dead/look green...whichever comes first. (I use the phosphor coated strings.)

Take care,

Casey

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Anyone who remembers me here knows I played with heavy gauge strings for too many years. Yea, it was on electric, but the principle is the same. Use the lighter strings. Save your fingers, hand, and wrist.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote