Clear all

Chicken Picking?

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@scrybe)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Use Organic chickens. The tone is infinitely better than if you use battery chickens, the latter are too weak. Some people insist on them being corn-fed, but I personally can't tell much difference there.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

keep the vibration or sustain of the strings very short. ppalm mute by laying the heel of your picking hand on top of the strings over the bridge.
then use the alternate picking movement.
cluck cluck.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
 Rune
(@rune)
Trusted Member

Try these:
Wow, now I know who to bug for links!

It's a dry heat!

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Try these:
Wow, now I know who to bug for links!
LOL! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@sparky1ma)
Trusted Member

I too am learning finger picking. I'm learning Cats in the Cradle, from the intermediate lessons, and for a beginner like myself finger picking is not as easy as I hoped it would be. My biggest problem right now is getting the stings I'm picking to sound at the same level. Does anyone have any suggestions or is this something that comes with time/experience/practice? I'm not doing to bad I can play the intro and half of the first verse, so I'm moving along nicely, though it has taken three weeks to get there.

Where am I going....and why am I in this hand basket?

ReplyQuote
(@unimogbert)
Estimable Member

I too am learning finger picking. I'm learning Cats in the Cradle, from the intermediate lessons, and for a beginner like myself finger picking is not as easy as I hoped it would be. My biggest problem right now is getting the stings I'm picking to sound at the same level. Does anyone have any suggestions or is this something that comes with time/experience/practice? I'm not doing to bad I can play the intro and half of the first verse, so I'm moving along nicely, though it has taken three weeks to get there.

The term 'chicken pickin' annoys me. Sorta suggests that fingerstyle is for ignorant hillbillies. It's not.

Fingerstyle can take you to many wonderful places.

For volume- Practice, concentrate and practice some more. There is a large number of muscles you're attempting to control. Kinda like touch-typing :-) It'll take some attention and practice to get it right.

Or put on some metal fingerpicks and a thumbpick and then all the strings will sound at the same volume - loud! :-)
(controlling them is even trickier!)

In some cases you don't want the strings to sound evenly because some notes are to be softer than others. (depends on the song) But of course you want this to be under your control rather than happening randomly.

Not sure if this might also be an effect seen more often on electric more than acoustic.
(I've never played electric so I'm just guessing. Yes, really.)

Unimogbert
(indeterminate, er, intermediate fingerstyle acoustic)

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

I too am learning finger picking. My biggest problem right now is getting the stings I'm picking to sound at the same level. Does anyone have any suggestions or is this something that comes with time/experience/practice?

Fingerpicking is definitely my preferred style of playing! And, you hit the nail right on the head! To get your levels the same across the board requires time/practice. The more comfortable you get with fingerpicking the easier it is to control the sound level of the strings. For a long time my bass strings sounded louder than the others, I think because it was easier to pluck those strings with my thumb than it was to pluck the others with different fingers. Keep after it and you'll get there! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote