Notifications
Clear all

Chord Building question.

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@icyleft)
Topic starter  

I'm still new to this but i have a question i'm hoping someone can answer.

I'm building chords out of Scales and i'm on A7 so the progression is 1,3,5,7
or A,C#,E,G# But when i look at the chord it is missing the G# and shows the chord using G . I am having a hard time wrapping my head around this. And as i keep looking for an answer all the A7 chords show it using a G instead of the G# Can someone help me figure this out?

(@davidhodge)

Hi and welcome to Guitar Noise!

Whenever you see "7" added to a chord it's meant to be the "b7" and not the seventh note from the major scale. Flatting the seventh means lowering it a musical half-step and G is one musical half-step lower than G# so that's why there's a G in an A7 chord.

If you're interested we've got a number of articles on basic music theory and chord building. Here's one that goes to the heart of your question:

https://www.guitarnoise.com/lessons/building-additions-and-suspensions/

I hope this helps. Welcome again to Guitar Noise and I look forward to seeing you around on the Forum pages.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Try working it using a D Major scale and you'll find it fits exactly - A-C#-E-G

It can be complicated to get your head around sometimes - A7 is a chord in the key of D; Amaj7 (A-C-E-G#) is a chord in the key of A - the important thing is to know that when your music says use A7 you use the x02020 shape.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@icyleft)
Topic starter  

Thank you for the info. I read through the Happy new ear article and understand it now. Thank you!! I am glad i found this site. I will definitely have more questions... I have a ton of them and have been looking for a place to ask all my questions. So thank you for the warm welcome!

ReplyQuote