Clear all

Chord changes

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@rodders)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I've been playing for about 30 months now and quite often when practicing I will just run off chord progessions to see what I can come up with. Now one thing I have noticed is how wonderful the change from A to C#m sounds. They really fit together well and yet there seems to be a complete change of character within the music. Yes I know I should know why, but I am ashamed to say I have neglected the theory side of things. Another one I cant seem to stop going through is C to Bb to F and I always go this route if changing from C to F as the Bb seems to help the C into F almost as if it trips in there, if you get my drift.
Can anyone tell me why these work so well together and are there any changes that you favour above all others.

Be excellent to each other & party on dudes!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=686668

(@slydog)
Reputable Member

Disclaimer - I'm no theory guru.

In the first cased C#m is in the key of A, which is why it works and the switch from a major chord to a minor chord accounts for the mood change.

In the second case, if in the key of G, going from G-C-Bb-F, you are using a IV of IV of IV when you play the Bb, which actually works pretty well, as does the IV of IV. Thus in this case you are playing:

I, then IV, then IV of IV of IV (Bb if the IV of F, which is the IV of C, which is the IV of G), then the IV of IV (F is the IV of C, which is the IV of G).

Make sense? If so, then I'm really scared.

Also, anyone else who knows better, please chime in and correct me.

Blame it on the lies that killed us, blame it on the truth that ran us down.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

The two chords sound so well together because they're almost the same:

A major = A-C#-E
C# minor = C#-E-G#

When two chords share two of the same notes, the transition between them is going to sound very smooth.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@rodders)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Hey Slydog,

If I wasn't confused, I sure am now.

Thanks for your help man

Be excellent to each other & party on dudes!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=686668

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

That's interesting:

A major = A-C#-E
C# minor = C#-E-G#

I knew C#m was the 3 in the key of A but I never knew the notes. I looked at it and saw that the C#m could be played and sound like a A major 7th if a bass player played the A root note. I'm going to try that with a buddy in a few hours to see how it goes.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote