Clear all

Chord fingerings

11 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@inburrito)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hey folks, I learned to play chords as I watched my dad play bluegrass style on acoustic. There are three chords that Ive learned to play in matter that might be incorrect and Im wondering if I should take the time and energy to re-learn them. I play the G major with my middle finger on the A string, my ring finger on the E string and my pinky on the Bottom E, it makes the transiton from C really easy. I play the A by barring the first four strings on the second fret with my pinky on the bottom E on the fifth fret and I substitute B7 for B. Should I go thru the hard work to re-train?

geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

It really depends on the song. Songs where I am doing alot of G-C movements I use the exact same fingerings you use. But sometimes I will use my pinky on the e, ring on the b, middle on the E, and index on the a. Because the song will require me to change to a chord that is easier played from there.

When I first started I felt like I would never be able to play the same chord with multiple fingers. I thought it would confuse me to much but in time it has become very easy.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

Your G chord is fine as that fingering leaves your first finger free to add on other decorative notes such as A on the 3rd string fret2 and quite a few others. And it makes changing to G7 (quite a common change) really easy.

Your A is fine too - but it would be worth learning the more common shape too, which is 002220 or (more usually) avoid that low 6th string and play it in 'root position' as X02220. (with fingers 2, 3 & 4). This chord also allows you to obtain more extra notes mainly by taking fingers off. (e.g the open B string makes a lovely Asus2 chord)

But DON'T substitute B7 for B every time. That's very limiting. There are plenty of situations where B is required and B7 just won't work.

ReplyQuote
(@inburrito)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks folks. It will take me forever to get that B comfortably but I reckon I can do it

ReplyQuote
(@jimmy_kwtx)
Estimable Member

I have always felt that the more ways you can play a chord (any chord) the better.

Each has its own voicing and sound. Use what sounds good. A G played one way will sound good in a song but could sound like crap in another so you would use a different G instead.

Here are a couple to play around with.

320003 (common G) 320033 ("eagles" G)

X02223 (A7) or 575655 (A7)

Also my 2 cents on re-learning/learning new things on Guitar. It is always good to learn new things and try different approaches to playing your instrunment. Take what you want and leave the rest, but you at least tried something new that could open up your mind to different creative avenues.

Kind of like we tell our kids , when getting them to try something new to eat. You'll never really know if you do or do not like it unless you try it.

Off my Soap Box.

ReplyQuote
(@inburrito)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I just realized that I do not even know the fingering for a B major. Ive looked in the lessons on the site but I cant find a chord diagram for B

ReplyQuote
(@inburrito)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Your G chord is fine as that fingering leaves your first finger free to add on other decorative notes such as A on the 3rd string fret2 and quite a few others. And it makes changing to G7 (quite a common change) really easy.

Your A is fine too - but it would be worth learning the more common shape too, which is 002220 or (more usually) avoid that low 6th string and play it in 'root position' as X02220. (with fingers 2, 3 & 4). This chord also allows you to obtain more extra notes mainly by taking fingers off. (e.g the open B string makes a lovely Asus2 chord)

But DON'T substitute B7 for B every time. That's very limiting. There are plenty of situations where B is required and B7 just won't work.
I play alot of Johnny Cash songs and the B7 seems to work but your are right it doesnt fit in some other songs Ive played so I will have to learn the proper B

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

I just realized that I do not even know the fingering for a B major. Ive looked in the lessons on the site but I cant find a chord diagram for B
The most common barred B is x024442 - the notes on the fourth fret can either be played as another barre with the ring finger or individually with the middle, ring and index. Personal preference again :)

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

If barring that B is a problem you can also do an easier (but not quite as good) 4 string version without the barre as XX4442, with fingers 2,3,4 & 1 Another option is to move the A shape that you already know, up 2 frets - but only as a 4 string chord, not 5 like A, i.e., XX4447.

ReplyQuote
(@bourgeoisbabe)
Trusted Member

Wow! It is refreshing to read questions that was struggleing with a couple days ago. I was taught the G chord that way too.(320003) using the same fingering (3rd on the low E, 2nd on the A and 5th on the high E) then i saw it a different way in a book and I thought :Sheesh, I have so much to learn and so many questions). Thanks for the different insights and perspectives.

Life pushes hard. Push back.

ReplyQuote
(@bourgeoisbabe)
Trusted Member

Wow, I just read my last post....what terrible typing....I didn't even check my spelling.....yikes!

Life pushes hard. Push back.

ReplyQuote