Notifications
Clear all

Chord progression questions in some songs

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@snuvet75)
Topic starter  

Hello everyone. I have questions about chord change in a song.
In some songs, I see chord changes quite a bit. For example, Cryin' by Aerosmith, or Superfantastic by Mr. Big.
IN Cryin', it starts with A key and sticks to it but in Pre Chorus, it changes to key of G. And in Intro, there's brief riff that goes A#5-C5-F5-G5. This seems like part of G minor pentatonic (G-Bb (A#)-C-Eb(D#)-F). How do I justify the key change between A and G? I understand I could play Gm pentatonic scale over G major chord.
In SuperFantastic, the song start with key of G, but in chorus, the chord progression is D-A-G-A and Bm. This is key of D major. How do you explain this?? And if I were to compose a song, how do I apply this chord change to the song?
I try to fit these to modes but I failed and I simply don't get it. Please enlighten me. Thank you.

(@alangreen)

You don't have to justify the key change. Movement from G to A or vice versa could imply you're in the key of D, or it could just sound good. The A#-C-F-G sequence could also be a sequence in Bb - or it could just sound good.

Yes, you could play Gm pentatonic over G, but why not use the G Major pentatonic?

Songs change key all the time. Your job is to make the change seamless

Don't overthink the theory stuff. You're very close to a decent understanding, but sometimes you just gotta go with the sound.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@snuvet75)
Topic starter  

You don't have to justify the key change. Movement from G to A or vice versa could imply you're in the key of D, or it could just sound good. The A#-C-F-G sequence could also be a sequence in Bb - or it could just sound good.

Yes, you could play Gm pentatonic over G, but why not use the G Major pentatonic?

Songs change key all the time. Your job is to make the change seamless

Don't overthink the theory stuff. You're very close to a decent understanding, but sometimes you just gotta go with the sound.

Oh what I meant by key of A is that the intro goes A-E-F#m-C#m-D-A something like this. And when it changes to key of G in pre chorus, the progression is G-D-G-D-C-G. But regardless, I get what you're trying to say. Thank you for your valuable comment Alan. :D

ReplyQuote