Clear all

Chords

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@cjdave)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I have been learning G D C. What are some more chords I need to know as a beginner? Thanks David

(@s1120)
Prominent Member

Off the rip Im saying E, A, D, C, G is a great start. after you get a handle on them, work on E, A, D minor... lot of stuff you can do with those!!! After you learn them, make sure you work on changing from one to another smoothly.

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@cjdave)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the fast responce i will work on them. Thanks again David

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

definitely the E chord. also begin working in the minor chords; Am Dm Em. then as soon as possible get that B chord involved.
chords often come in threes; ie, E, A, B. a classic chord progression. this works for all the others; ie, G C D etc.
then work on the much hated F chord. beginners typically have trouble with this one, I don't know why.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

then work on the much hated F chord. beginners typically have trouble with this one, I don't know why.

Nothin' to do with it needing a six-string barre from the index finger and a movable E-shape chord at the point where all 60 pounds of sting tension in each string is passed through the fingers then :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Once you've got the G C and D chords down, learn Em next. Those four chords will let you play literally hundreds of songs....

Usually G, Em, C then D. Off the top of my head:

Stand By Me - Ben E King/Lennon
Twisting The Night Away, Chain Gang, Wonderful World and Cupid - All by Sam Cooke.
His Latest Flame - Elvis (one of many!)
Love Hurts - Everly Bros.
Every Day - Buddy Holly.
Metal Guru and Cosmic Dancer - T. Rex.
Massachusetts - Bee Gees.

Note - not all of those are in the same key. The Sam Cooke songs, for example, are (I think) in Bb or B - so you'd either have to play Bb, Gm, Eb and F or B, G#m, E and F# to play along with the radio or the CD. Or put a capo on the third (for Bb) or fourth (for B) fret and play G, Em C and D.......

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@cjdave)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for all the input. Greatly appreciate it.
David

ReplyQuote