Notifications
Clear all

Chords and Hand Coordination

22 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
(@apache)
Reputable Member

Yeah - i've read a lot about athletes using the visualisation too - with excellent results.

I took up the guitar about 4 weeks ago, and have the same "dyslexia" problem too, although I can go some changes now - but anything with D or C in it, I sort of grand to a halt while I sort my fingers out....

ReplyQuote
(@wattsiepoops)
Reputable Member

Some advice from me.

It was only a year or two ago that i struggled with exactly the same thing. My method to get me past it was to forget about more complicated rhythm for the time being and just down strum on the beats. Anything i tried to play was slowed down greatly (Pick up a metronome if you can, it will help you with the timing of your changes and GREATLY help with the more complicated rhythms when you come to them.) and if you hear something not quite right, stop, place your hand in the position of the chord you were playing then strum down slowly hitting each string individually and letting it ring to make sure the right strings are making the right noise, you never know, your guitar may just be out of tune slightly.

Another method i employed was to first learnt the easier variations of the chords when changing from others. For example (Take the tab as E-A-D-G-B-E) the G chord i always play is 3-2-0-0-3-3 and then if you are struggling playing C, try a C2 x-3-2-0-3-3 and then a normal C x-3-2-0-1-0 to an F (Those pesky barre chords are horrible when you start) which origionally is 1-3-3-2-1-1, but this one works just as well 0-0-3-2-1-0

Look into different variations of chords for the easy looking ones and work your way up to the more difficult ones. I tell you now, once the easy ones are nailed, the hard ones come much easier.

David Watts
Takamine G-Series - £229
Fender STD American Telecaster (Cola Red) - £849
Vox 15watt AMP (Valve pre amp) - £129
Acoustic/Electric Rhythm and Lead (Occasionally) Southport Elim Youth Band
Former Aftershock 24/7 Rhythm Guitarist (Band split)

ReplyQuote
(@apache)
Reputable Member

Thanks for that, that's one thing my teacher keeps saying i need to slow down, its soo easy to play fast on the bits you can do, then it goes wrong when I get to the other changes...

Will probably get shot down in flames for saying this - but I loved guitar hero (have the metallica one) which was why I then decided to play the real thing, but I'm too used to strumming quickly...

Will have a look an ebay for a metronome - that's a good idea - thank you :D

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Will have a look an ebay for a metronome - that's a good idea - thank you :D

You can get good ones quite cheap new as well.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I have this Korg. It is a metronome and tuner in the same box. Both tools are useful.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

....Will probably get shot down in flames for saying this - but I loved guitar hero (have the metallica one) which was why I then decided to play the real thing, but I'm too used to strumming quickly...

Have heard similar from other folks from time to time. We all have our inspirations. :wink:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@apache)
Reputable Member

Have heard similar from other folks from time to time. We all have our inspirations. :wink:

Just been and had a look at metronomes - they seem to have a changed a bit since the one my old piano teacher used to use when I was a kid LOL

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2