Clear all

Christmas Guitar

13 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@intergalactic)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hi again everyone well I'm here again looking for guitar suggestions. I had to get new glasses instead of a guitar so i decided to wait until christmas for a guitar but since I am I have much more money to spend on one :D I'm a new player I also need an amp so suggestions on one would be great also. I want to play mostly Judas Priest because they rule :wink: I'm not sure exactly how much I will have to spend but it is going to be around $900. Oh and I need a case too 8)

(@kickentrash)

hi intergal!!!

well...I'm in your same situation: I want to buy an electric guitar and a friend of mine suggested to try with a yamaha because it is pretty good and with the BEHRINGER V-tone guitar pack you can get also an amp (you can visit the italian site http://www.strumentimusicali.net )...this is for beginners...
I think it's better an ibanez (like the GSA60) 'cause I've tried it once and I think it's really good...anywayI hope you'll find the right guitar for you!!!

anna

ps. oh I forgot: judas priest are fantastic!!!

ReplyQuote
(@steveobouttorock)
Estimable Member

If your a complete newb to guitar or electric anyway, a guitar pack would be good. When I started I bought the Epiphone pack. Came with either a les paul or SG in either black, red or vintage sunburst. Some picks,cable, tuner,strap, and 15 watt practice amp. and if you are new thats all you really need, you dont really need a half stack at that point.

be good at what you can do-

ReplyQuote
(@steveobouttorock)
Estimable Member

and it costs $230 dollars

be good at what you can do-

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Don't spend 230 bucks. Thats the first advice. Spend whatever you can.

What kind of music do you like? (I've never heard Judas Priest) Can anyone give me the genre? or a band that sounds like them?

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Spend whatever you can

I gotta disagree with that. I currently have six guitars I work with regularly. One was a gift, two I bought at market prices, one I got wholesale when I owned a music store.

The other two...

One was from a music store. I had a budget for that purchase of $2,000. I played a couple of hundred guitars from shops all over town (Chicago is a big town, by the way!). It came down to two. One was priced fairly for the sound. The other one I bought... for $700.

I saved the best for last. That one I got in a pawn shop in NYC around 1980. It caught my eye because it was unusual - a small body archtop. The hardware was rusted. The electronics were odd... single controls for tone & volume, but a slide switch for each of the two pickups. Grungy looking fretboard inlays. It didn't have a name brand... why? Because it was built by a luthier. Hand carved. Ribbon mahogany fretboard. Ivory binding. The inlays looked dirty because they were tarnished - they're Sterling silver. It had been neglected, and it wasn't a Gibson or Gretch, or anything the pawn shop owner could value. It's easily worth 30 times what I paid for it, maybe even more.

Set your budget, and don't look at anything over it. But don't walk away from anything under the budget you set. There are diamonds out there, instruments that sound far better than you'd expect if you just look at the brand name or other people's opinions. Don't walk them... or go ahead and walk away, and leave the really good stuff for guys like me :)

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

HAha, I guess I gave my advice under the assumption that he won't be finding any hand carved works of wonder in pawn shops ;)

But really what I meant was, if you have 900 bucks to spend, don't go for the starter packs. In a few months you'll want to upgrade, and that 300 bucks will have almost been a waste (sorta). So get the nicest ____ guitar you can and the nicest ____ amp you can for your money, you'll appreciate it down the road when theres no dead frets ;)

ReplyQuote
(@intergalactic)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

You can listen to Judas Priest at there website http://www.JudasPriest.com or at http://www.Judas-Priest.com I don't need a very loud amp a 15 watt would be enough for me right now. I'm looking for suggestions on guitars before I go to the music store to try them out myself. I want to get suggestions from all the smart people here so I have some idea what kind of guitar I'm looking for :D Where are all the priest fans I know I can't be the only one.

ReplyQuote
(@gjbrake)
Reputable Member

Hey!

Two things:

One - careful about only getting a 15w amp. I did that, and what with buying stuff like a new PC and working up much debt whilst at Uni, I have never got a bigger, better, louder one. Means I am constantly having to borrow other peoples for gigs, which is just annoying. A well-looked-after amp will last AGES, so I would invest now, if I were you. On the other hand, you may be happy to upgrade in future, or not be that bothered about gigging - in which case 15w is still fairly loud (just ask my neigbours...)

Two - I bought a Yamaha Pacifica 112 when I first started. It was great then, and is still great now (6 years later), so I would happily recommend Yamaha too.

Hope this helps!
G

Listen Louder Than You Play

ReplyQuote
(@intergalactic)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I have been looking at the viper 400 LTD and musicians friend has them for $560 I'm going to try and find some place that has one so I can see if I like the sound but if I did get it I would have plenty of money for a more powerful amp and if I'm going spend allot of money on a guitar why go cheap on the amp right? :D

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

I think for the amp, after listening to a few songs, I can definitly recomend a Line 6... Guitarwise, I'm not sure, maybe an Ibanez?

Anyone have some ideas?

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Here's a thought - the Vox ADVT30 - allows you to set the output to anywhere from 1W to 30W and includes a tube preamp. Currently $239 from Musician's Friend.

$60-$70 for a multi-fx unit (Zoom or Behringer) still leaves $600 for a guitar

for a guitar, look at the Ibanez SZ(?)520 - around $500, but very nice with a really (for me, anyway) pleasant, slim neck profile.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@intergalactic)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I haven't had allot of time on the computer I will have to look in to that guitar but I'm only hearing good things about the viper-400 and I have been reading people on the ESP forum about the good emg 81 pickups it has.

ReplyQuote