Circle of fifths

18 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Several times on this forum, I've seen people refer to the circle of fifths, but when I look at lessons for it, mostly I get more confused.

I know quite a few chords, and a few songs, but never seem to be able to figure out, on my own, which chords would go together. A friend tells me I should learn the circle of fifths, which I can (memorize it, at least). Still not sure what it is, what it does, or how to use it...

Help?

Best,
ANde

(@joehempel)
Famed Member

I believe the circle of fifths is just the fifth chords in the key that you are playing in.

LIke in the key of C: C-G-D-A-E-B just the fifth chord down the line. I may be wrong on this, but it's my understanding of it.

1.C 2.D 3.E 4.F 5.G you always include the first chord when counting.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

ReplyQuote
(@hbriem)
Honorable Member

Here is the circle of 5ths. G is the 5th of C, D is the 5th of G and so forth.

C
F G

Bb D

Eb A

Ab E

Db B
F#

Here is a table of the different keys:

Major Relative Key I ii iii IV V vi vii°
Key Minor Signature 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
----------------------------------------------------------------
C major A minor C D E F G A B
G major E minor # G A B C D E F#
D major B minor ## D E F# G A B C#
A major F# minor ### A B C# D E F# G#
E major C# minor #### E F# G# A B C# D#
B major G# minor ##### B C# D# E F# G# A#
F# major D# minor ###### F# G# A# B C# D# E#
F major D minor b F G A Bb C D E
Bb major G minor bb Bb C D Eb F G A
Eb major C minor bbb Eb F G Ab Bb C D
Ab major F minor bbbb Ab Bb C Db Eb F G
Db major Bb minor bbbbb Db Eb F Gb Ab Bb C
Gb major Eb minor bbbbbb Gb Ab Bb Cb Db Eb F
----------------------------------------------------------------

Note that it includes both F# and Gb even though they are enharmonic. Usually the one with the simpler key signature (fewer sharps or flats) is chosen, but F# and Gb both have 6.

--
Helgi Briem
hbriem AT gmail DOT com

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Here is the circle of 5ths. G is the 5th of C, D is the 5th of G and so forth.
And there is an interesting issue. Note that G is the 4th of D, C is the 4th of G, F is the 4th of C, and so on. Thus, if you read the circle counterclockwise you get a circle of fourths.

The circle of fifths is very useful for transposing songs. If you know the key you easily can find the fourth, the fifth and the rest of chords in the target key.

A good way to learn (memorize) the circle is use it when you are practicing scales. Choose a scale (major, minor, pentatonic, etc.) and play it in each key by following the circle of fifths. For example, C major, G major, D major, etc.

ReplyQuote
(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

I've recently made an interactive circle of fifths. Click on any key in the circle to see the scales and main chords (triads)associated with that key.
http://www.fretsource.com/Flash%20progs/Circle5th.html

And anyone else can check it for mistakes :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@unimogbert)
Estimable Member

I don't understand them very well either but I cheated and bought a Chord Wheel book to help transposing.

Unimogbert
(indeterminate, er, intermediate fingerstyle acoustic)

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Fretsource, that's pretty cool!

I'll use it! Thank you very much!

:D

ReplyQuote
(@clideguitar)
Reputable Member

That's what I thought this was for? Say, taking a song in the Key of A and transposing it to G. Is it more than that?

Bob Jessie

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

Cycle of Fifths! At last: someone that's gonna get switched on BIG TIME!

Mel Bay has a chord book called "The Cycle of Fifths". There's also one just called "Chord Cycles". Nope...zero instruction in it...just heaps of cycles.

I can't stress more what a GREAT idea it is to have the mathmatics of cycles become second nature. In time...with practise...chord after chord will "appear" in a good emotional context as you improvise live...or write.

GLAD the penny dropped for ya! :wink:

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

I've recently made an interactive circle of fifths. Click on any key in the circle to see the scales and main chords (triads)associated with that key.

Thank you so much for that tool. It's really cool. Very well done.

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Two things that the circle of fifths is great for are helping you with ear training and helping you in "sight-hearing" playing situations. Say you're playing a song in the key of C and all of a sudden there's an E major chord or an E7. Chances are better than not that the next chord following will be the chord that the E is the fifth of, either A or Am. So getting used to how fifths resolve and hearing them in your head can help you in situations where you might not know the song. Your ear will be aiding you in making an educated guess where the song is heading, chord-wise.

Does it work all the time? No. But it works enough to make it much more than worth your while.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@notes_norton)
Noble Member

Yes, the circle of fifths is also the circle of fourths if you go the opposite direction.

In any major key the fifth is called the dominant, and the fourth the sub-dominant, in addition they are the only chords in a major key that are major.

1 = major
2 = minor
3 = minor
4 = major
5 = major (often with dominant 7th added)
6 = minor
7 = diminished

There are a lot of elementary theory books out there, consider buying one. A little basic theory will help you understand what you are doing on the guitar and that will help you be a better player.

Insights and incites by Notes.

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com Add-on Styles for Band-in-a-Box and Microsoft SongSmith

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

ReplyQuote
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

... and it gives you the key signature.

clockwise you have sharps
C - 0
G - 1
D - 2

counterclockwise you have flats
C - 0
F - 1
Bb - 2
Eb - 3

... and it tells you where to put the sharps/flats (if you know where to start
first sharp is F#
second is C#
third is G#

first flat is Bb
second is Eb
third is Ab

So ... say, B major has 5 sharps and they are F#, C#, G#, D#, A#

... of course it works for minors as well start on A

A minor
E minor #
B minor ##

D minor b
G minor bb
C minor bbb

Very useful - just memorise it - yuo will need it one day - I guess there are plenty of ways of remember it in english Cows Go Down At Easter Because ... or what do I know

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

ReplyQuote
(@nathan080)
Estimable Member

Omg, I actually love you... thats fantastic, been looking for something like that... I've got one sellotaped to my wall... but its a bit of a mess lol! Thanks :D

FYI

From Your Influence...
http://www.overplay.com/BandProfile.aspx?BandId=e78b497f-4f31-4182-8659-e8b6fa91d582

http://www.youtube.com/user/FromYourInfluence

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

Two things that the circle of fifths is great for are helping you with ear training and helping you in "sight-hearing" playing situations.

So getting used to how fifths resolve and hearing them in your head can help you in situations where you might not know the song. Your ear will be aiding you in making an educated guess where the song is heading, chord-wise.

Does it work all the time? No. But it works enough to make it much more than worth your while.

Peace

You really need to be "ahead" of where you are playing from moment to moment. It ain't by no means easy...but...hey...what else have you got to do??? :lol:

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2