Notifications
Clear all

Classic Jimmy Page sound. Help plz.

19 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@zeppelin68)
Topic starter  

Hi, as you can see this is my first post on this message board, however I do plan to revisit, it seems nice. Now, I am also a newbie to guitar, I have been playing about 5 months, just picking around, you know. Anyhow, I do not have a lot of equipment built up so far. This is what I have. A Marshall MG10cd 40 watt amp, and a cheap Ibanez electric guitar. It is a nice guitar despite the price, I do not know the model. What I am trying to figure out is what items I could invest in in the future, or how I may use what I have to create a makeshift classic Jimmy Page sound. Sort of like used in the solo during 'Heartbreaker', or for his heavy riffs, such as the main riff during 'The Ocean'. If you can help, please, it will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

(@alangreen)

Hiya, and welcome to GN.

From this month's Total Guitar magazine, Jimmy's setup is listed as a Fender Tele with a small Supro valve amp. The dial-in for the amp is to lower the bass, keep the mids high, boosting the treble and lowering the gain for humbuckers, or upping the gain and reducing the treble for singlecoils. You should be able to get very close to that sound using your Marshall. Use the bridge pickup only for extra bite.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@zeppelin68)
Topic starter  

Tyvm for the advice. I will try that and see if i can get it. Yes my fav guitar player is Jimmy Page, and I know he uses a tele and a gibson les paul, but they're just so expensive, especially since i'm not even that good yet. Thanks so much though :P

ReplyQuote
(@bmancv-60)
Estimable Member

Hello!

Many of us can't afford the models our inspirations play, but there are several companies that make decent copies (Epiphone, Rondo among others - Epiphone is part of the Gibson family if you're looking for a Les Paul). Teles aren't my cup of tea but I know the copies are out there and someone else will suggest a brand or two for you.

"...I don't know - but whasomever I do, its gots ta be FUNKY!"

ReplyQuote
(@zeppelin68)
Topic starter  

Ty, yeah, I was going to get an epiphone les Paul for $500 for christmas. However my grandma wouldn't agree. I have $270 bucks atm going to get it soon though :P

ReplyQuote
(@steinar-gregertsen)
Honorable Member

I've read very good things over at the Telecaster forum (TDPRI) about the Squier Classic Vibe Teles, even by people who owns several expensive vintage and reissue Teles. Musicians Friend sells them for $300.
Check this thread: http://www.tdpri.com/forum/telecaster-discussion-forum/108828-new-squier-classic-vibe-50s-telecaster.html

Never tried one myself though....

"Play to express, not to impress"
Website - YouTube

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

My main guitar's a Fender (MIM) Tele - I can hardly put it down these days, even to pick up my acoustic. Before that, I had - and still have - a Squier Custom Tele. Lovely, well made guitar IMO - these days I keep it in open G for slide guitar. It was my main guitar for a couple of years, though - I've told the story several times of how I was looking for a Telecaster, tried a few, and none of them sounded just right or felt just right, until I tried the Squier Tele. Instant attraction!

Squier Teles are well-made guitars; they sound good, they're very versatile, they hold their tuning well and I'd recommend them to anyone who couldn't afford a Fender. For the difference in price, the difference in quality - both tonally and cosmetically - isn't that great. As always, though, try before you buy - what feels and sounds good to me might not to you, and the only way you'll actually find out for yourself is by putting one through its paces.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@chrissbliss)

Hi zeppelin68! if you are chasing that classic jimi page sound, your Ibanez will not make it happend no matter how much you customize it or swap pickups, the reason is the wood of the guitar, whether you believe it or not, the woods have a huge impact on the sound, not only the pickups. what you need is some sort of guitar with a massive mahogany body and a maple top, like the Gibson les paul like he had, Im talking from experience here. forget about epiphone. they are not using the correct woods, exept maybe the higher end models. I recommend you buy a les paul copy that has the correct woods, there are plenty cheap ones out there, the best are the japanese made like Tokai, Burny, Greco, Fernandes, and more, then swap the electronics out cus they are often crap and also makes a big impact on the sound, then put a burstbucker in the bridge.
and wire it the jimi page style. there are plenty of diagrams on the web on how to do this. good luck :note2:

ReplyQuote
(@adrianjmartin)
Estimable Member

Remain objective! There's a bit more to the 'Classic Jimmy Page Sound' then kit.

Pouring money on kit wont get you there.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Jimmy Page could pick up any guitar I own, and he'd still sound like Jimmy Page.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@adrianjmartin)
Estimable Member

...he could even pick any guitar I own and sound like Jimmy Page :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

The sad thing is, I can pick up any guitar I own, and still sound just like me.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

The sad thing is, I can pick up any guitar I own, and still sound just like me.

yep, we can all do that....but, to get back on topic, our new friend zeppelin68 wants to re-create a certain JP sound. I've found that with my Tele played through a cube 30 amp on the Brit Combo setting (which, I think, is a model of the Vox AC30 amp) with the gain turned full up you can get really close to the sound of "Black Dog" or "Rock'n'Roll." That's what I love about modelling amps - people can spout all night about the purity of tone of tube amps, but with something like a Cube 30 or a Vox ADT 30V you can get virtually any tone you want, from "Mr Tambourine Man" jangle to "Sweet Child Of Mine." Without pedals.

I can get pretty close to "Kashmir" by using a little chorus - I can get pretty close to "Stairway" with the acoustic setting. I can get pretty close to a lot of other songs as well, just by tweaking and experimenting.....OK, maybe I couldn't use that rig for playing out, but for the bedroom or box room it's perfect.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@boynamedsuse)

zeppelin68 check out the Agile guitars over at Rondo Music. The lower cost models are in your ballpark price-wise and are very well respected as a lower-cost alternative to the big name brands. It seems that Agile specializes in Les-Paul style guitars, but they also have Telecaster style models as well. Here is an example:
http://www.rondomusic.com/TC630RN2TS.HTML

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I love the Agile guitars we've got. My boy took out my AS-820 semihollow with P-90s to a jam the day before yesterday and came back praising it. I'm about to head to the basement and restring the LP2500 goldtop with three P-90s.

Jimmy Page's main recording amp was a little old Fender Champ, cranked way up.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2