Clear all

Classical pieces harder than this?

11 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@jasoncolucci)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I've been playing classical guitar for a year now(almost to the day) and I've been making pretty good progress. I feel I've really gotten good technique down and I could be pretty good if I reinforeced it with more theory and of course practice. Now, onto my question. Right now, I'm working on Leyenda Preludio(Also known as Asturias or Leyenda) and Reccuerdos de la alhambra. My teacher tells me these are grade 9 pieces (As per the Royal Conservatory of Music in Canada.) My question is, what would be an example of a grade 10 piece if these are grade 9's? An educated geuss based on difficulty would be appreciated, or if you have an actual example of something you know to be a grade 10 piece, even better. Thanks.

Guitarin' isn't a job, so don't make it one.

(@jewtemplar)
Reputable Member

I don't know about grading, but from taking a look at Asturias, as well as reccuerdos, it seems they are mostly about speed/tremolo technique. I'd imagine there are numerous transcriptions from other instruments (asturias was originally for piano, for instance) that are of higher difficulty. Bach's Chaconne (originally for solo violin) comes to mind, and the guitar versions I've heard do seem phenomenally difficult, and also very technically diverse.

~Sam

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Albeniz didn't write for guitar, but his music translates to guitar very well. For his best examples, play Tango (Op 52 (I think) - in Drop D) or Sevilla (5th and 6th strings tuned down to G and D respectively).

For absolute top-level pieces, try Zambra Granadina, Caprico Arabe, The Miller's Dance, Sor's Variations on a theme by Mozart, and the Allegretto from Toroba's Sonatina. Also worthy of a mention are Paganini's 24th Caprice, Vivaldi's Largo in D and Andante in Em (soz - don't have the RV numbers at work), and Stanley Myers' Cavatina (theme from The Deerhunter, arranged by John Williams). RDLA - as you're finding out - is just nuts because you're playing over 500 notes per minute for a little over four minutes. Anything by Bach is seriously hard work. Ditto some of Scarlatti's hundreds of miniature sonatas.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@illicit)
Estimable Member

A lot of Paganini's Caprices translate to guitar well and most other piano concerts can be translated to the guitar or bass by tapping.

Behold! The great northern viking's pinnacle of evolution! Behold my wavy blonde locks, my icy blue eyes and my muscular physique! Behold my.. screw this, I'm going to McDonald's.

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Tapping's not easy on a Classical because of the long fingernails

I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@illicit)
Estimable Member

Tapping's not easy on a Classical because of the long fingernails

My god! Guitars have nails!?

What an age we live in.

Seriously, though. Forgot he was talking about classical guitar.

Behold! The great northern viking's pinnacle of evolution! Behold my wavy blonde locks, my icy blue eyes and my muscular physique! Behold my.. screw this, I'm going to McDonald's.

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Don't get me wrong - I saw a video of Angel Romero using tapping on a Classical to get some phenomenal results.

ReplyQuote
(@jasoncolucci)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks guys, and Alan, you're definetly right about Bach's pieces...I spent a few hours yesterday working on Bouree in E minor...ugh the fingering pattern is ridiculous.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

There's lots of Bach more difficult than that bouree - dig into the Inventions for a while :)

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

There's a lot by people other than Bach that's more difficult than the Em Bourree too. The Bourree's **only** a Grade 5 piece in the UK.

Best,

ReplyQuote
(@jasoncolucci)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Oh I don't doubt it. i got most of it down in about a day or two...the point is, it's definetly a finger twister and I can only imagine the more advanced bach pieces get worse :D

ReplyQuote