Composing music?

9 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I want to start composing my own music but, I don't now where to start. I came up with some cool licks and want to “finish” them with some chords and/or more notes. But for starters, what is the easiest / most logical way to go about doing this? What are some good tips? Are there articles out there that I should read over (I checked on the main page here but couldn't find anything)?

Like I said before, I came up with some cool licks, both rhythm and lead but, to be honest…. they don't sound good together. I thought I would break them up into different songs and work on one at a time.

That's all I can think of for now.

Thanks!

(@el_warko)
Trusted Member

It should be noted that when you say lead, i am assuming you mean head. a head is melodic line that defines a song, and examples of which are abundent if you listen to trad jazz music. i apologise if i am insulting your intellegence. Also bare in mind that this is how i'd do it, it shouldn't be taken as gospel, because if you are composing, the sound you produce should contain as much of you as you can fit into it.

Making them two discreet song would be how i would start if they are completely different i.e. rhythmically
alternatively, if they are just in differnt key signatures you might want change one, the lead for arguments sake, so that they are the in the same key signature. that might solve the problem.

if you take the two song approach, the way i would go about it is to look at the acccented/strong notes of your lead and build chords around them. generally speaking it's nice if you can introduce stepwise movement (i.e. C to D) You can then if you want take the weaker notes and turn them into chords should you desire, filling in any holes, asuming they need filling.

with respect to your rhthym parts, i would look at the notes of each chord
and arrange a lead to fit. initially start with the notes that define the chord (root, third and fifth) i.e. if you are using C major, C E G. From there you can add or subtract notes to get your sound.

hope this is of some help.

mark

el_warko

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

What you always see discussed is what do you write first? Lyrics? Melody? Licks? Progressions?

I find that writing each kind of part leads me to particular types of genre's. If I write progressions first, I write metal songs, if I write melody or lyrics first I write sort of poppy blues songs (think Spin Doctors), if I write licks first I write Aerosmith-esque rock/blues songs.

In terms of the quality of the results, I probably come out best when I write melody first, which I hadn't actually done till NoteBoat suggested it to me here. I also find that my expanding chord knowledge is allowing me to find increasingly interesting chords to fit into my songs, that I normally wouldn't have thought of if I had just been writing progressions.

Songwriting is a very personal process, and you have to find a way that works for you, so don't rule anything out because of what you read. Try everything, anything, no matter how unconventional, if it works, use it. Find the best way for YOU to put YOUR creativity down on paper, and go for it.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

WOW!!! Talk about wanting to throw your computer out the window!!! I was posting a detailed reply quoting both of you when…… MY COMPUTER CRASHED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, I understand what you guys are saying about the music coming from me and my feelings, and that's what I am doing....trying to let it flow out. And it's not easy!!! From what I came up with already….I have to say I am shocked with myself (for the good!).

It's hard to explain what I am doing but, it's a blues shuffle kicked up with a little funk.

I was taking some of the notes in the shuffle to make up some chords and some how turned it into metal :?: I know, confused the crap out of me too!!! That's one of the road blocks I am having right now. I get going and either I change moods and lose it, or I just plain lose the feeling, or don't know where to go with it.

Right now I feel like I could mess up a wet dream!!!

Great advise guys, keep them coming!

ReplyQuote
(@cmaracz)
Reputable Member

About your last problem: loosing the concept or feeling. perhaps it's the way your seeing this. If a said concept or feeling is only adaquetly important to you at a given time and is forgoten very soon afterwards it may be that the again said cocnept is not important to you. I hope this doesn't end up sounding the wrong way.

ReplyQuote
(@el_warko)
Trusted Member

Could be that you just need to go away, have a real good think and come back to it.

From my experience writing is not something that i can force, it comes, it goes, it ends up sounding like the last thing i did . . . . .

In terms of it becoming metal, try playing less i.e. (assuming 4/4) play on the first and third and let the chords ring out. what i'm trying to get at is if you slow the chords down, it may feel like less of an attack/metal, and more bluesy.

Also, i have recently "discovered" rests. i felt incredably liberated the first time i shut up.

good luck tracker, don't give up.

el_warko

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

cmaracz,

It's not that it's not important, it's just that I spend so much time tring to play whats in my head that I end up losing the "original" feeling. Or I end up losing direction because I end up trying so many different variations to try and "capture" the mood.

el_warko,

That's a good point about the timing (4/4) and trying to play on the first and third beat. I'll slow it down till I can get the right feeling.
good luck tracker, don't give up.

Thank You!!! I won't give up!!! It's to much fun!!!

Again great idea guys and/or gals. Keep them coming!

Thanks!

ReplyQuote
(@warkthogus)
Eminent Member

I hate to reveal what a complete moron I am, but what is a lick exactly?

"You were born an original, don't die a copy"

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

A lick is a run of notes that follow a pattern. Basically, licks are played by the lead guitarist.

And PLEASE!!! DON'T call yourself a moron!!! We were ALL there at one point.

ReplyQuote