Clear all

Considering getting my guitar setup

11 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@srpntmage)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

There is a place near me that does a complete setup for $50. I have a feeling the action on my strings is a bit high and I know they re-align/adjust everything. Has anyone ever paid to have their guitar setup? If so, did it help any and how much was it?

(@margaret)
Noble Member

$50 sounds similar to what a set-up costs in my area (think I paid closer to $60 plus I supplied the new strings). Just make sure it is a reputable guitar shop and if you are not satisfied with the set-up, go back until you get satisfaction.

I had a bad experience with a set-up even though it was done by a reputable shop (saga detailed under Guitar Repair and Maintenance :roll: ). Fortunately, it is all better now and I love the guitar again. However, the experience did leave me very gun-shy about having set-ups done.

That said, a good set-up can definitely improve your playing experience. If you are unsure if your guitar needs a setup, maybe you know a more-experienced guitarist who you trust to give you an opinion on the height of the action, etc. ??

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@ldavis04)
Reputable Member

I've had setups completed on both accoustic and electric. Both turned out great, but, as suggested, make sure you go to good shop. The cost was $45.00 each...not bad, considering how playable they are now..money well spent.

I may grow old, but I'll never grow up.

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

Price sounds about right. I do my own set ups, having picked up the skills over the years of trial and error. I suggest you ask the guitar tech if you could look over his shoulder while he does it, so you can learn a few things.

ReplyQuote
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member

I paid $35 for a 6 string about a year ago and $60 for a 12, 2 months ago, both included the strings. A good setup is a good investment.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I do my own, I have too many instruments to have them done. I also have years of experience and trial and error. If you can't do your own, it is well worth $50 to have it done. It will play so much better.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

I charge $45.00 for a full set-up, I also include strings. Mine involve checking the neck for relief, adjusting action, intonation and making sure all hardware is good. On acoustics I check the bridge saddle and nut and adjust these for action. I also clean and oil the fret board.

On electrics I check all electronics, bridge hardware, trems if applicable and adjust action. And everything else that acoustics get.

I like to think that a good set-up is the same as a physical for us humans! By the time I'm done I get a really good feel for the guitar and it's issues, if any.

After doing a ton of them, I've gotten to the point that I won't buy a guitar unless I can do a mini set-up on it first.

A good set-up is really amazing on a guitar that has never had it done. Playability and sound really benefit. Most guitars, expensive and cheap are usually sent from the factory with high action so that it can be set for individual tastes and preferences. I think that any good shop that sells guitars should include a set-up on all purchases.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming......
like the passengers in his car.

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

And the point should be made that if you change string gauge, a new setup may need to be done. That was the reason I had mine in for a set-up, as I am not comfortable making any adjustments myself.

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

What's the going rate (or range) for fretwork - level, crown and polish?

The frets on my Artcore are uneven, and I've had to file some down to get them in line with ones that are shorter. Action's very low, but I know it could be even better if the frets were in better shape.

Also, is fret leveling more difficult on a neck with a compound radius fingerboard?

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I charge $45.00 for a full set-up, I also include strings. Mine involve checking the neck for relief, adjusting action, intonation and making sure all hardware is good. On acoustics I check the bridge saddle and nut and adjust these for action. I also clean and oil the fret board.

On electrics I check all electronics, bridge hardware, trems if applicable and adjust action. And everything else that acoustics get.

I like to think that a good set-up is the same as a physical for us humans! By the time I'm done I get a really good feel for the guitar and it's issues, if any.

After doing a ton of them, I've gotten to the point that I won't buy a guitar unless I can do a mini set-up on it first.

A good set-up is really amazing on a guitar that has never had it done. Playability and sound really benefit. Most guitars, expensive and cheap are usually sent from the factory with high action so that it can be set for individual tastes and preferences. I think that any good shop that sells guitars should include a set-up on all purchases.

I never charge for setups ... although I thought I could open a shop ..... but decided not. When I do them for folks though, they always feel obliged to give me something. $10 from a college student or a grocery store gift certificate from a coworker who's son's guitar I setup were nice gestures. These are people who have paid in the past and know what it is worth. I just love to take a guitar and make it play well. I have installed pickups and replaced saddles and bridge pins for friends. I guess I'm just too much of a sucker to make a business out of it. :?

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Hi,

Setups can make a huge difference to a guitar. Or very little, depending on how it was set in the first place.

I've bought several guitars that appeared to have been just thrown together at the factory and which were improved enormously by being set up correctly. You may or may not wish to learn how to do it yourself. But a good first step is to gain some knowledge about what can actually be changed by a setup. If you don't know what might be out then you are at the mercy of whatever you're told in a shop, and you will also be less able to judge what they did and whether they did it well or not.

I'd recommend Googling for setup info (there are some excellent sites with information and pictures). Have a read and see how much you can learn. If nothing else you should be better informed when you look at your own guitars and decide whether they are 'out' or not, and by how much.

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote