Clear all

Consistent Playing

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@alexk)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I've been playing guitar for 2 years, and I think I've made pretty good progress. The only thing is, whenever I record myself with a mic, it doesn't sound so good. My playing sounds weak, my chord changes and strumming isn't exactly on time, some chords will sound out loud, some will sound out soft, and I'll trip up a lot. Do you know how i can get better at the little things like these? Thanks.

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Mostly, it's practice. You're taking the right steps - recording yourself and analysing the result. Getting it right is a matter of repeating the process until it comes out right.
One of the major problems of recording is nerves- you know the result is no longer transient, it's there for a long time, for anyone to hear. You get slightly tense and the result is below par.
I have a Pandora PX4 which has a rhythm generator. I just noodle along to the rhythm. With practice, it becomes easier to keep up with a tight rhythm - no deviation, no slacking!. It's like playing along to a fun metronome - and you can sound like a guitar hero doing it. :lol:

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

I'ed keep recording myself. Spot a problem and concentrate on fixing it. Then find another problem, fix it, and so on. Eventually you'll clean up your playing.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Playing along with the CD can help too -- it forces you to keep rock steady.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Tim's right and I can attest to it because my buddy and I did that this weekend. We'd always listen to the cd, turn it off, then play together. Often I'd notice we would not play the right speed or we'd mess up parts as far as time value. So I bought a headphone splitter so we could both wear headphones to keep the right time and hear how the parts go. It worked great and he even told me he realized we'd been playing a few songs much slower than the cd. Give it a whirl.

One caution. Keep the headphone volume low. I've had more ear problems the next morning from using headphones than real amps cranked.
:shock:

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote