Clear all

Couple of issues

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@blackenedanger)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I have been playing for about a year and a half now. I haven't posted on here in over a year.

I've gotten to the point where I can play pretty decent standing up. But I have a few small issues.

1. I still seem to have issues with my pick slipping a bit on me, esp. when I'm playing fast riffs (Metallica, Megadeth type stuff). I constantly find myself adjusting my pick back with my fingers which completely messes up my rythm. Maybe I need to adjust how I hold it?

2. I have issues getting my pinky to reach the low E string when I'm standing up. Like there's a riff I'm playing right now where it's open fret, third fret then 6th fret then back to third, down to first then open again. For some reason I seem to have issues with getting my pinky to hit that string, especially in the higher frets. Is this normal? Sometimes instead I have to just slide over a bit and use my ring finger instead. I'm much more comfortable playing with a low hung strap. Esp. with my picking hand. I can't pick near that fast if I pull the guitar up.

3. Though I can play pretty decent standing up, I'm also an aspiring singer. I seem to have issues with looking down at the guitar. I know there are moments when everyone does this, but sometimes I find myself staring down at it. If I don't then I seem to mess up or hit a wrong fret. Any suggestions there?

Thank you for replies!

"Into ruin, I am sinking, hostage of this nameless feeling!" - MetallicA

Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

1. I still seem to have issues with my pick slipping a bit on me, esp. when I'm playing fast riffs (Metallica, Megadeth type stuff). I constantly find myself adjusting my pick back with my fingers which completely messes up my rythm. Maybe I need to adjust how I hold it?

You may actually be squeezing the pick so try to relax a little. We all go through periods where the pick seems to get out of control on us. In the interim if you are not using a thick pick try that. Also try scratching the surface of the pick to rough it up a little.
2. I have issues getting my pinkie to reach the low E string when I'm standing up. Like there's a riff I'm playing right now where it's open fret, third fret then 6th fret then back to third, down to first then open again. For some reason I seem to have issues with getting my pinkie to hit that string, especially in the higher frets. Is this normal? Sometimes instead I have to just slide over a bit and use my ring finger instead. I'm much more comfortable playing with a low hung strap. Esp. with my picking hand. I can't pick near that fast if I pull the guitar up.

You may have to bite the bullet and move the guitar up some since it sounds like the low neck is pulling your hand away from the neck or forcing you to bend your wrist. First try tilting just the neck up more. But yes, it is tough to get that pinkie working right and takes a lot of stretching exercise since it is the weakest link in the hand. Plus just practice your aim and eventually the pinkie will give in and do what it is supposed to do.
3. Though I can play pretty decent standing up, I'm also an aspiring singer. I seem to have issues with looking down at the guitar. I know there are moments when everyone does this, but sometimes I find myself staring down at it. If I don't then I seem to mess up or hit a wrong fret. Any suggestions there?

Try practicing in front of a mirror. This broke me of the habit of looking down since it enabled me to keep looking forward. I still look down once in awhile just to check where I am especially if I have to move around the neck alot.

Welcome back to GN.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Playing with a low slung guitar just doesn't work well.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Define 'low slung.' Is that like keeping it below the waist?

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Yep. You have to bend your fretting wrist around at a very unnatural angle. Biomechanically inefficient. Makes it hard to fret the notes properly, and many players who try to do it this way develop serious problems with tendonitis and carpal tunnel syndrome after a while.

If that picture is you, OWA, your low guitar position is partially compensated for by the upright position of the neck. Folks who try to sling it low like that and keep the neck horizontal are really handicapping themselves seriously.

The closer you get to the guitar position the classical players use, the better off you'll be (and the better you'll be able to play.)

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@blackenedanger)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Yep. You have to bend your fretting wrist around at a very unnatural angle. Biomechanically inefficient. Makes it hard to fret the notes properly, and many players who try to do it this way develop serious problems with tendonitis and carpal tunnel syndrome after a while.

If that picture is you, OWA, your low guitar position is partially compensated for by the upright position of the neck. Folks who try to sling it low like that and keep the neck horizontal are really handicapping themselves seriously.

The closer you get to the guitar position the classical players use, the better off you'll be (and the better you'll be able to play.)

I keep it really low, lower than that picture but I also tilt the axe up higher to attempt to compensate.

I don't have any problems with movement, or wrist pain (nowadays anyway). My only one problem is that pinky not hitting the lower strings. Sometimes it feels ok to move my arm a little more and just use my ring finger, but when I get into more complicated riffs it just doesn't work. So you're right I may have to just bite the bullet and move my guitar up some.

Thank you for the responses!

"Into ruin, I am sinking, hostage of this nameless feeling!" - MetallicA

ReplyQuote
(@lord_ariez)
Reputable Member

1: I take a hole punch to all of my picks since I have the same problem, having that little hole in there keeps it in line

2: Practice, practice, practice

3: Play the guitar in the dark for 30 minutes a day

Good luck!

'You and I in a little toy shop, bought a bag of balloons with the money we got"

feel free to talk with me on msn at [email protected]..... no icq anymore

ReplyQuote