Clear all

Couple of questions about tabs in Guitar Pro

13 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@raevin)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Okay, so I was looking through a Guitar Pro file I have, and I came across a couple of parts I'm not sure how I'd play.

First one is this:

I don't get what the double inclining slashes are supposed to mean (I think pull up/down, but not sure).

And, another is this:

Again with a similar (but different) slash, which I believe means slide to the next fret. I'm pretty sure, also, that the curves between the two frets means to basically not lift your fingers, but I'm not sure, and just want to be corrected before I make any mistakes, lol.

Edit Sorry 'bout the big images...Paint apparently doesn't like to resize :'( (Don't have Photoshop or anything useful, lol)

(@mrodgers)
Trusted Member

Edit Sorry 'bout the big images...Paint apparently doesn't like to resize :'( (Don't have Photoshop or anything useful, lol)
FYI, IMAGE menu > Stretch/skew to resize BEFORE you paste image. resize it so it is smaller than your image to paste and it will ask if you want to expand to fit. Yes and it will create the "canvas" the size of your image you want to paste.

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Can't answer the 1st question as I've never seen that before.

You are correct on the second.. slide from and to those frets.

Tied notes means you sustain the note for the indicated amount of time (those hoops from note to note.) wilst sliding :)

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
 vgo
(@vgo)

I don't get what the double inclining slashes are supposed to mean (I think pull up/down, but not sure).

That's tremolo picking.
Again with a similar (but different) slash, which I believe means slide to the next fret. I'm pretty sure, also, that the curves between the two frets means to basically not lift your fingers, but I'm not sure, and just want to be corrected before I make any mistakes, lol.

That's the "normal" slide. With only the line you'd play the second note too. The curves always mean that you don't play the note(s) after the first one with your strumming hand.

You can actually see what all these mean in Guitar Pro (at least in v5 that I have), they are in the user interface and there's also a help file explaining all of them.

I use Guitar Pro extensively and I use it to learn songs and do exercises (and write my own stuff too), it's the best investment I've made since I started playing guitar in last february. For me it's just as important tool as the guitar itself. :)

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

To manipulate images, there is nothing better, certainly not at the price, than GIMP.
You can download GIMP here for the princely sum of ....nothing. It is totally free.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

One other GP tip. If you look up at the teop menu row, there's an item called "Effects". That lists the symbols and names of most of what you'll see in the TAB.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

To manipulate images, there is nothing better, certainly not at the price, than GIMP.
You can download GIMP here for the princely sum of ....nothing. It is totally free.

Thanks for that one. Looks quite inclusive.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@urbancowgirl)
Reputable Member

That's tremolo picking.

I came across that not long ago and was wondering about it myself. So...what is tremelo picking?

I got Guitar Pro a while back but I couldn't figure out how to use it. :? I need a book or manual or something.

All my life I wanted to be somebody. Now I see I should have been more specific.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I got Guitar Pro a while back but I couldn't figure out how to use it. I need a book or manual or something.

Did you download any song files?

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@raevin)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

That's tremolo picking.

I came across that not long ago and was wondering about it myself. So...what is tremelo picking?

I got Guitar Pro a while back but I couldn't figure out how to use it. :? I need a book or manual or something.
I found this on Cyberfret.com (from Google):

The use of tremolo picking is an easy way to play fast phrases, with a minimal amount of effort. With tremolo picking you are playing the same note 3, 4 or more times in rapid succession.
If you want, here's where I got it: http://www.cyberfret.com/techniques/tremolo-picking/index.php

The help menu is apparently quite useful (not being sarcastic, it helped me w/ this after someone mentioned it here). Here's a basic GP 5 tutorial: http://www.guitarforbeginners.com/forum/misc-lessons-articles/10462-guitar-pro-5-tutorial/

Google: http://www.google.com/search?client=opera&rls=en&q=guitar+pro+tutorials&sourceid=opera&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8 (might have more useful links)

As for everyone else, thanks so much for all your help! It's making me understand this song, music, and GP a lot more! :D

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

You can get a manual here.

Just right-click on the link and "save link as" or whatever you browser says.

I'll gladly answer any questions, if I can.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@urbancowgirl)
Reputable Member

Oh, thank you all! :D

All my life I wanted to be somebody. Now I see I should have been more specific.

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

Listen to some Dick Dale surf music for a really good example of tremolo picking. You've all heard his music if in nothing else Pulp Fiction (what you didn't see it - go now and rent it).

Here's Misirlou by Dick Dale.

P.S. His name isn't Richard Dale but the stupid censor keeps turning it into that - it's D1ck Dale.

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote