Clear all

Crisp sound with Electric?

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@djanvk)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I'm wondering if I'm setting up things wrong with my electric. With my acoustic I get a nice clean sound but with my electric is seems to have extra Reverb and my reverb is turned all the way down.

Are there things I can or need to do to make a clean sound on my electric if playing acoustical style of music with open chords?

Thanks

Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member

HI, and welcome to the boards!

Like you, though- I often play acoustic sounds on my electric. One problem is that most electric guitars have way more sustain than an acoustic, and it makes is sound "muddy." (As notes from previous chords keep ringing after you change.)

Working on your muting techniques (stopping strings vibrating, instead of letting them stop on their own, with either your left or right hand)can help. You might think about re-arranging things to use more partial chords, less "whole" open ones. (Which means less notes to mute)

So can some kind of a noise gate. (which "minimizes" noise, by cutting out "weak" signals, not letting notes hang on for so long.)

If you only play acoustical style music on this thing, you could also lower the pickups, which reduces sensitivity, therefore sustain. (or you could lower one pickup, to use for these songs, and leave the others higher for more "electric" sounds.)

I enjoy the acoustic synthesizer in my multi-effects pedal. (I use a digitech RP 50, but most multi-pedals have something similar, I think.)

Last thing, though- it's not an acoustic guitar. You can do some things to make it sound a little more like one...but it isn't.

With the noise gate, with the acoustic synthesizer, with a lower pickup...mine still sounds like an electric that sounds a little like an acoustic. Not 100%, by any means.

Best,
Ande

PS- But if you're getting a genuine "reverb" kind of sound, I'm not sure what's happening. Anyone?

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

I think that was a very good response above. Lots of info and reasoning there, and quite likely an answer.

I would also consider what type of pickups are on the guitar, and also consider the string material to some degree.

I believe, in my opinion that those two elements, or components of the guitar are more influential than the type of body, neck or fingerboard in this type of question.

Because, if you just happen to have humbuckers that are quite powerful and dirty or muddy sounding, or ceramic and crisp or crunchy :shock: , uhh.... you could have a hard time replicating acoustic purity and clean-ness.

Add that to the facts stated above about sustain, and also the guitars, electric and acoustic are sort of worlds apart to begin with, not being made the same. And if the strings are of a thicker gauge, I think they will sustain longer in the pickups magnetic field.

Most D'Addarios and Nickel Brites are fine, and possibly less deviating from the lighter-sounding tone than Boomers, or generally loud, thick or vintage-repro strings.

To deal with the possible issue of the humbucker, it is hard to get most humbuckers sounding as clean or jangly as an acoustic, probably impossible, though you may have a nice pure electric sound. If your electric sound is already distorted, then it's doubly hard to get 'em clean, without clipping. Here's the 'scoop' on clipping: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clipping_(audio) and http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/1/4679.html

If you have single coils, then you might be a little closer to the cleaner sounds, with the potential for more brightness and clarity, but again... not always, depending on the pickup.

To closely replicate the cleanest possible or acoustic-like tones, I think you need a low power pickup, and leaning toward Alnico 2 magnets, while 5's are fine. DeArmond's 2K or similar humbucker is one example of a pretty darn clean 'bucker.

I didn't mean for a long post, but another way to clean up an electric guitar's sound is by installing a treble bleed circuit, and turning the overall volume of the guitar down. Then you can make up for it at the amp, with volume, while producing a slightly clearer tone from a weaker signal.

My experience is that I can take a single coil Strat or a Tele to a Coffee House with an acoustic simulator or Multi FX set to "acoustic" or one of the patches that allows big headroom, or whatever. It doesn't sound exactly like a nice hollow, resonant acoustic/electric guitar, but it gets by, and I prefer it sometimes, or nearly always. :o

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Later.... here is a Strat set up as a traditional electric, but with Brian May Optima/Maxima 24K gold Plated Strings for a brighter, sparkling, acoustic piano-ish tone. This is a case where I believe that strings help shape the sound, as well as a neutralish set up. The trem also floats, if it makes any difference in reducing sustain. I can't tell if it sustains less, not likely with those strings, a vintage 6 screw bridge and a big steel block. I only know for sure that it goes both ways! :lol:

In reality, this IS my acoustic set-up, when coupled with a BOSS AC-2 or ZOOM GI or 2. Then it goes into the Host's board.

You can see all the differences and strategies in the set up, right away. Obviously different from the above, close results.

I came up with it myself, lowering and cutting down the basses, while there is pronounced midrange, like a Cedar Top, and even brighter, crisp and jangly top end, or trebles - without gauss or string pull. Yet the action is very low, low, low.

This is THE one that I take to play as an acoustic substitute and have been getting away with it, raising some eyebrows, but well accepted and commented on. It started when I just didn't want to be the same as everyone else, and also performed Hendrix's "Angel" as close to acoustic as I could get, using additional sustain for emphasis & a touch of vibrato with some jet sounds or 'flying noises' from a Flanger.

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote