Notifications
Clear all

D Chord

17 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@dontfret)
Topic starter  

I just began not to long ago and run across the D chord in a number of songs - i.e. Heart of Gold. I tend to play the D chord by barring the first three strings on the second fret and then pressing the second string, third fret with my middle finger. I was told my a more experienced player that such a method may create some bad habits - i.e. in trying to switich to other related chords maybe? I have trouble with the more conventional D using fingers 2,3 and 4 though. Can anybody think of a reason why I need to stay away from the barring method on this chord?

(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Yes, because that fingering makes it vastly harder to play fun things like:
E|-2-3-2-0-|
B|-3-3-3-3-|
G|-2-2-2-2-|
D|-0-0-0-0-|
A|---------|
E|---------|

Or extremely commong progressions like Dsus4-Cadd9-G.

I myself don't finger it the usual way since I don't like that one either, I play it like this:
D [x x 0 2 3 2] [x x x M R I]

That leaves my pinky free for a hammer on the 3rd fret firs string or such decorations.

ReplyQuote
(@fishrmann)
Trusted Member

I agree with Arjen, learn by leaving the pinky free. It'll make transistions to other chords much easier - many songs go from a D to a G, and you can have that darned slow pinky ready to pluck down your high E string when going from a D to G chord.

Perhaps there's a better way, I'm pretty much a noob myself (1yr), but found by playing that D with index-ring-middle finger, so that stubborn pinky is right there to fall on that 3rd fret high E string for the next G chord (in which most cases I do play using the pinky on that high E string)...

Hope this helps! Stick with it, you'll get it, and stick with this website and these forums!!!! This place is awesome for noob advice!!

ReplyQuote
(@dontfret)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the tips - I'll give it a try. This website really is great!

ReplyQuote
(@ghost-rider)
Reputable Member

Thanks for the tips - I'll give it a try. This website really is great!

Stick around dontfret, and you will discover how great this website really is... ( I mean, the people who contribute..._

cool.

later,

Ghost

"Colour made the grass less green..." 3000 miles, Tracy Chapman

ReplyQuote
(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

However I play it XX0MRP, so I can get to A and E easier (for me) by leaving my index finger on the 3rd string behind the Middle finger, the only advice I can give is there is no 'correct' way only the way that is easiest for you.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

D CHORD! I am getting flashbacks! :shock: :shock: :evil: :twisted: :wink:

(Those that remember my troubles with laugh at this!)

ReplyQuote
(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member

However I play it XX0MRP, so I can get to A and E easier (for me) by leaving my index finger on the 3rd string behind the Middle finger, the only advice I can give is there is no 'correct' way only the way that is easiest for you.

While I agree there is no correct way. The fingering that will leave you the most options is by using your ring middle and index fingers. I have been working hard to break my brother of the habit of fingering the way mentioned above. It doesn't allow for the "roaming" of the pinky. As you learn more and more songs you will need the pinky in that fingering. Eventually you will find you are fingering most chords differently depending on the previous and next chord. Althougth I always finger the D in with the ring middle and index.

Cheers,

Max

ReplyQuote
(@clideguitar)
Reputable Member

I finger it (well, barre it) the same way! And I was wondering the same thing? The only time I really don't use is when I have to switch D - A or vice versa. Sometimes, it doesn't sound right? I use it G -D, D-G and C, I think it's faster?

I think I'm going to stop playing it this way, or, really limit where I use it.

Bob Jessie

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Depending on what I'm playing, I sometimes use

e---x--
B---7--
G---7--
D---7--
A---5--
E---x--

as this is open D as a barre. Don't forget that open chords can also be played as barres at various places on the fretboard!

Pete

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I always use my index finger as a mini-barre across the top three strings, amd my middle to fret the 2nd string at the 3rd fret - leaves my ring finger free to hammer on for the sus4th, and my pinkie free for anything else.

Consider this riff, which starts in D......

E 5 2 0 3 3 2 2
B 3 3 2 0 0 3 3
G 2 2 2 0 0 2 2
D 0 0 2 0 0 0 0
A x x 0 2 2 x x
E x x x 3 3 x x

If you use your index and middle for the normal D chord, then for the first chord in the sequence, all you have to do is stretch your pinky up to the 5th fret, then take it off for the normal D chord....play it any other way, your fingers are going to get in a real tangle.....

(Wonder who'll guess what it is first?)

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@clideguitar)
Reputable Member

(Wonder who'll guess what it is first?)
Vic

Norwegian Wood! Your version, I remember that stretch was difficult.

Bob Jessie

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Not Norwegian Wood, although I did use that xx0235 chord in it....the stretch to the 5th fret is an A note, which is already in the chord - so this is merely an alternate voicing of the D chord....

Try playing it!

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@clideguitar)
Reputable Member

"mother nature's son" ? I know it starts out this way, but then it's just jumps around the D chord. It sounds familiar...

BJ

ReplyQuote
(@dontfret)
Topic starter  

Thanks again everybody! Although my head was spinning slightly at all the options, I've completely abandoned the "barring" type method. I'm fooling around with the chords in "Closer to Fine" and it's got a Ds/D/D9/D that's impossible for me to play with the first finger barre....I think I'll need a shorter guitar if I ever expect to grab that 5th fret with my pinky like Vic does.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2