Notifications
Clear all

D6sus2

22 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

That tab puts it all in context and makes everything a lot clearer, EMT.
A couple of things to be aware of as you found some parts that don't make sense to you. I'll include the more obvious ones too for the benefit of anyone else who is just starting to learn tab .

The 3rd chord in the list of chords at the start contains an error. It's D major so the first string should be fret 2, not open.

Edit... What happened to the list of chords at the start? Did you edit your post and remove them? Or did I imagine them? :shock: /edit

The 12, 12, 12 notes are played as natural harmonics.

The small line after many of the chords indicates a slide to the next chord

The 4-3-4 - 4- 3 - 4 etc are two alternating notes played over those chords indicated above the tab. Kind of like a drone/ pedal.

x4 = play that section 4 times

|| = end of section

ReplyQuote
 EMT
(@emt)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

CHORDS:
|-0-|-3-|-0-|--3--|--0--|--0--|--0---|--0--|-0-|
|-0-|-3-|-3-|--3--|--0--|--0--|--0---|--0--|-1-|
|-0-|-0-|-2-|--0--|--4--|--x--|--7---|--5--|-0-|
|-2-|-0-|-0-|--2--|--4--|--5--|--7---|--5--|-2-|
|-2-|-2-|---|--3--|--2--|--5--|--5---|--3--|-3-|
|-0-|-3-|---|-----|-----|--3--|------|-----|---|
Em G D Cadd9 Bsus4 Gadd6 D6sus2 Cmaj7 C

sorry bout that, trying to condense it abit and hit the wrong group. was trying to cut some of the intro bit out.

what do you mean natural harmonics?
whats a drone pedal?
I'm acoustic.

that was cut off my printed sheet too. :oops: :oops: :mrgreen:

red meat doesn't kill you, fuzzy green meat does.

ReplyQuote
(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

Harmonics are a special kind of note that you get if you place your fretting finger exactly above certain frets (the 12th fret being one of them) without pressing down the string onto the fret. When you play that note, you get a clear bell-like tone.

A drone is a continuous note that sounds throughout a piece of music or section of it. It may be a design feature of the instruments - (think bagpipes or sitar) - or it can be played intentionally just by holding or constantly repeating that note. The note remains constant while the chords or melodies do their own thing independently of that note.

A pedal tone (not an effects pedal) is a similar kind of thing - i.e., a repeated or sustained note independent of the harmony or melody added for effect, or to maintain a strong tonal connection with the keynote. There are other differences but I won't list them as I'd have to go and look them up somewhere. :D

In the song, you've got a section of 2 repeated notes going on throughout the chord progression. That's what I meant "similar to a drone or pedal tone".

Now that the chords are back, you can also see that the D6 sus2 shape they want is composed of D A D B E. In fact, a few of those shapes depend on the open B & E strings to get the sonorous effect required (another drone-like effect). It seems in those cases the sonority is more important than the harmony, as some of those named chords would only sound right in those particular arrangements.

ReplyQuote
 EMT
(@emt)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

having that little tid bit (chart) does help.

placing my finger over the fret but not pressing the string , just barely making contact?

ReplyQuote
(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

having that little tid bit (chart) does help.

placing my finger over the fret but not pressing the string , just barely making contact?

Making contact with the string, but not pressing it down onto the fret.
Here's an example

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RraJNZuTtzk&feature=related

ReplyQuote
 Crow
(@crow)
Honorable Member

...a few of those shapes depend on the open B & E strings to get the sonorous effect required (another drone-like effect). It seems in those cases the sonority is more important than the harmony, as some of those named chords would only sound right in those particular arrangements.

Yes. (This is easier to demonstrate in person than it is to describe in words.) If you leave the top two strings open, then fret different chords (full chords, power-chords, partial chords) underneath them, you can get gorgeous sonorities -- chords that stand on their own yet are connected harmonically by the open first and second strings. That's what the progressions here frequently are describing.

Lots of difficult chord nomenclature to portray (inaccurately) a fairly simple idea.

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream." - Frank Zappa

ReplyQuote
 EMT
(@emt)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I seem to have underestimated how complex a guitar can be.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2