Clear all

D'addario strings for acoustic

17 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@specialk)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hey i was wondering what type of d'addario string wuold be best for my new guitar. It is the first time i'm changing it's strings, and need to know what type is the best. thanks!

Special K

(@hawken)
Trusted Member

What kind of guitar do you have?

ReplyQuote
(@specialk)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

It is a Norman B20 CW...

Special K

ReplyQuote
(@specialk)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

It is a Norman B20 CW...

Special K

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

I use the custom lights on my acoustic.

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
(@specialk)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

What reall diffrence does it make, with what string you use?

Special K

ReplyQuote
(@backtothefuture)
Estimable Member

The lighter strings are easier on your fingers.

My first string change I went to Guitar Center, took my guitar, and said give me some strings like I have on. The guy said, "Looks like mediums," and sold me mediums. He did NOT know what he was doing. Right away, I could tell they were "tighter" strung and I had to use more finger pressure. So back I went (stuck with the mediums) and asked for the custom lights. Much easier on the fingers. They give you a brighter tone, also.

Dennis

ReplyQuote
(@specialk)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

But is that prettymuch all, as far as sound quality, they all sound pretty much the same, its just how they feal to me?

Special K

ReplyQuote
(@specialk)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

But is that prettymuch all, as far as sound quality, they all sound pretty much the same, its just how they feal to me?

Special K

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Generally speaking, lighter gauge strings will sound brighter, heavier ones will sound darker. Lighter ones are easier to bend and fret. Also, you might like lighter strings for finger-picking and heavier ones for heavy strumming. Or maybe not. :)

Then there's round-wound strings (e.g., D'Addario Chromes) which are mellow and jazzy.

With D'Addarios of the same gauge, 80/20s will have somewhat brighter highs and deeper lows, while Phosphors will emphasize the midrange.

Bottom line: try a bunch and see what you like. I'm still experimenting with Elixirs and D'Addarios, but am leaning toward the D'Addario EXP13s, which are their coated 80/20 custom lights (11-52).

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@david-m1)
Estimable Member

Changing the string gauge may also require you to change the neck relief / adjust the truss rod, if not you may get some buzzing. Or the action could become a little higher.

I play D Addario EXP 11's, there coated strings, I like the way they sound as soon as I put them on and I can uasally get two months playing before I have to change them.

If your happy with the guitars set up and volume, then I would stick with the same string gauge, and like others said try different brands until you find what you like.

Have fun..

ReplyQuote
(@smudga)
Eminent Member

I'm currently trying Country Golds (12s) since they were recommended... so far so good - nice tone/ring to 'em

I've only been playing sine January and have decided to stick with 12s - toughen the old fingers up...!

(¯`·._..-SMUDGA-.._.·´¯)
A few clowns short of a circus!!!

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

Then there's round-wound strings (e.g., D'Addario Chromes) which are mellow and jazzy.
Flat wound?

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

I'm not aware of flat-wound d'Addarios... most of their strings are round wound (including the chromes), but they do make a half-round - a 'semi flat wound' string.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

I've had exceptional luck with their ESP's.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2