dhodge lessons.

25 Posts
22 Users
0 Likes
(@oktay)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Nowhere Man beginner lesson by dhodge

I don't think there's a better beginner level article out there for a song that encompasses everything that makes the song without needing to sing the melody. I love how dhodge's lessons are based on rearragenments to be played with a single guitar incorporating enough of the melody to make the song readily identifiable while making it easy enough to play for us mere mortals. I think the "complete" feel of his lessons is what differentiates his from most other lessons as well as his sneaky way of making you learn bits of theory.

I guess I just wanted to take a minute to thank him again for his hard work. Very much appreciated.

Oktay

(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

I guess I just wanted to take a minute to thank him again for his hard work. Very much appreciated.

Ditto on that. David always does a great job with his lessons. :D

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@smokehouse)
Honorable Member

allways look forward to his articles in guitar mag as well, i have used his work in doing some of my own stuff. and i am allways asked even by people who have played for some time [where did you learn that? ] good stuff thanks to dhodge.

:WHO INVENTED WORK SHOULD COME BACK AND FINISH THE JOB OFF: http://www.soundclick.com/bartin

ReplyQuote
(@lucam)
Eminent Member

I have to thank him if I can strum something that makes sense.
And I'm waiting for his book...

ReplyQuote
(@raina)
Eminent Member

Oh yeah David Hodge = god (and i don't want to offend any religous people with this statement).

His lessons are the shiznit and definitely helped getting me started with my guitar playing.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

David shares his music with all of us.Though lately he's being a lot partial (ok pun there.)I feel if someone sincerely follows every lesson of his...he can become a good guitarist by months..having a nice reptoire of songs :)

Rahul

ReplyQuote
(@mikemc)
Eminent Member

without a doubt. David Hodges are easy to read for the newbies, they have definatley helped me. i second the Thank You.

ReplyQuote
(@nephidoc)
Eminent Member

I took lessons for six months from a great Jazz guitarist, doing his music Phd work.
I have to say in those six months I learned more from David's lessons than from
my teacher.

A book by him along these same lines would be incredible.

Thanks David

Stan

ReplyQuote
 JOS
(@jos)

Long time lurker, first time poster (I think, lol). Being a true guitar beginner, at age 42, I guess I've been waiting for a time when I felt like I could contribute. I can certainly add to the praise being heaped upon David for all his beginner lessons. I know I would still be trying to figure out strumming if it wasn't for him!

ReplyQuote
(@hbriem)
Honorable Member

He definitely da man.

--
Helgi Briem
hbriem AT gmail DOT com

ReplyQuote
(@wannabe)
Trusted Member

i too would like to thank Mr. Hodge. his articals have taught me soo much, which is especially important because i had no guidence other than davids articals for the better part of the last two years.

Thank you
Cheers
Brian

I don't understand, I got the guitar, and the beer, the commercial said I'd be a rock star by now...

the reason we fall is so we can learn how to pick ourselves back up

ReplyQuote
(@clideguitar)
Reputable Member

When I started I couldn't finger the "C" chord, (much less "F"). Being able to follow his lessons gave me encouragement so I kept at it. Now I can play (with a few clunkers – maybe):
Wish You Were Here
Happy Christmas – great song with a great beat (it's waltz time – right?)
Nowhere Man – I've finally worked that riff in so it sounds good

Plus some others I've done on my own, or, from the Easy Song database on these boards (thanks also to all of you). Also, allot of other songs in the “works”, meaning, like, Blackbird, I can do that 4 Fret stretch but it takes too long. Oh, David, by the way, When I saw Paul McCartney on his last tour (09/23/2005) I watched him play Blackbird and he doesn't do that 4 Fret stretch – I was going to tell him he was playing it wrong but he's kind of hard to get to :)

My fingers are faster, the chords are sounding better all the time. Now, I need to work on BARRE chords and timing and getting that Pinky stronger and faster.

I love when he says things like:
“Purists would call this Cm/add9/E/G but if you split it into 7'ths and take away the 5'th and just play the 1'st, 3'rd and 9'th then it's really a “C” chord”.

Thanks to everyone at GN!

Bob Jessie

ReplyQuote
(@nexion)
Honorable Member

I am still just a beginner, but I would also like to thank him for his effort. His lessons are really helpful, and I don't think I would spend as much time as him making lessons for complete strangers. Thankyou David Hodge.

"That’s what takes place when a song is written: You see something that isn’t there. Then you use your instrument to find it."
- John Frusciante

ReplyQuote
(@lunchmeat)
Estimable Member

I found guitarnoise wayy after I'd started playing guitar, but Hodge's lessons helped me develop my musical style (I still use the deadened strum effect from "Love the one you're with") and more importantly, his articles on theory helped me immensely. Coming from a musical background, I understood music intrinsically, but not on a scientific level - basically, I knew what I wanted to hear, and what I wanted to play, but I had no way of playing it. His article on the modes also helped me in more ways that one - I still refer to that article, occasionally. Big thanks to you, David.

-lunchmeat

ReplyQuote
 bohh
(@bohh)
Trusted Member

Guitarnoise and David jump started my learning to play the guitar.

Thanks a lot everyone involved. Your a great addition to the guitar community.

Guitarjourney.net - Everything I've learned and want to learn, including chord diagrams and other information.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2