Clear all

Different fingerings

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@j-rock)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I've noticed that there are different finger positions for the same chord. Like the C can be played with the low G in the 3rd fret. Or the F chord can be play the easy way or the hard way. And same with the G minor. When you see one of these chords in tab, does it make a huge difference which one you play?

I can look back with a smile, knowing that my ambition far exceeded my talent.

(@burgermeister)
Eminent Member

I've noticed that there are different finger positions for the same chord. Like the C can be played with the low G in the 3rd fret. Or the F chord can be play the easy way or the hard way. And same with the G minor. When you see one of these chords in tab, does it make a huge difference which one you play?

There are actually many ways to play "the same" chord on the guitar. Each different fingering is a different "voicing" of the chord. You will find that they all sound a bit different because you are playing notes from different octaves and in different sequences (inversions). The chords you mentioned above. When you play a C Major chord you are playing the notes - C, E, G. You will normally double a note or two (play two C's for instance) but you're still playing CEG. When you fret the third fret 6th string and play a G, you simply inverting the chord and playing the G as the base instead of the root note (C). It will work fine, but it will sound a bit different and you may not want the lower not sounding. When you play the "easy" F chord you've simply avoided playing a low F and C but are still playing F,A,C,F, just not the lower register notes. Again, it's still an F chord, just a different voicing. It will work fine, but may not be the full voicing you are looking for.

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Hmmm, I think I'll have a little fun with this one. I personally don't think the chords you talk of make a huge difference when you play a song. Still, it does add a different flavor. When you play that little barre F you accentuate the higher pitch. When you play the full root 6 barre chord you get a much more deep-sounding chord. I think both sound great.

If you're in a band or playing with others, it's often good to play a chord a little bit different than the other guitarist. It's more interesting. As a side note, I'd add that you should not get hung up on chord inversions (like having a G in the bass when playing a C chord). I used to be so strict about not playing inversion because the were not right in my mind. Yet I've come to find out chord inversions are played all the time by masters and they are interesting.

Oh yea. If you play an open G chord and then play a root 5 barre chord at the 10th fret G chord, well, yea, you'll hear a huge difference because they are so far apart in frequency.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Dennis

I am in a new band now with another guitarist. I almost always play the same chords in a different position. For instance, on one song he plays the Dm and C chords open position. I play a Dm at the 5th fret and C at the 8th. It just adds color to the mix. Also, if he is strumming the chords I might play arpeggio style if it fits. When playing with another guitarist you have to find you own "space". If he is playing power chords on the bass I might play the same chords on strings 1-4 or 1-3. As long as it fits and makes the song sound better. There are times when you want to play the same voicings for emphasis.

The important thing is that it sounds good.

A great example of this is Sweet Home Alabama. You can hear one guitarist picking the arpeggio riff in the open position, another guitarist quietly strumming power chords, and yet a third guitarist playing a simple little riff over and over. It is hard for 3 guitarists to play together.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Yea, that makes sense. Funny, now we have 3 guitar players and I find myself trying to tone down what I'm doing so we can all be happy. The main rhythm guitarist generally plays open chords so I generally play barre chords. The new “lead” guitarist does all kinds of things and generally tries to see what the two of us are doing and he finds the space in between with abbreviated chords (not doubling up on notes).

It's a lot of fun for me knowing I don't have to do play full chords but just parts to make a statement of flavor. For most songs we each have a different strumming pattern which is neat, too.

Wes, hope you're digging playing with another guitarist.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

If you want to get a sense of just how many different voicings there can be, check out Howard's List of Guitar Chords. It's a great resource.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

Musenfreund - Great link, thanks much! I'm going to abuse that... oh yeah. I can just see a few of the guys I hang out with:

guys - "What the heck are you playing?!?",

me - "Oh yeah, that's just your normal C#m7 played partially on open strings, and partially on a 15th position barre, you know."

Jeez, for each one I've been to so far, there have been at least 32(!) shapes listed. I have entered a state of bliss.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote