Clear all

difficulty in getting a clean sound

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@welchsboy)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I noticed that whenever there's more than one string sounding on my guitar, the strings picked after the first start to sound slightly distorted and give out a kind of buzzing sound. This happens even if I turn the volume real low, and it sounds somewhat annoying. If I only pick one string though it sounds fine. I thought it might have been my fingers but it happens even with open strings. Anyone know what could be happening?

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Hard to say without hearing it, but sounds like you are experiencing fret buzz. Perhaps your string height (action) is too low, or your truss rod (relief) needs adjusting. It could be you are strumming with too much attack. It could even be that you are not fretting cleanly.

All I can say is if you know another more experienced player, play your guitar for them. They will probably be able to identify the problem quickly. Or take it to your local music store and show them the problem. Your guitar might just need a setup.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Are you talking about an electric guitar? If so, it's possible you're slightly out of tune - or at least, some strings are out in relation to others...I know this is the beginner's Q&A, but sometimes it's impossible to give a clear answer without a few more facts? If it is an electric guitar, it could be one of a number of causes...what amp are you using? What settings? Are you anywhere near the computer/other electrical equipment, or even a fluorescent light? There's a solution to every problem - you just need to find the root source of the problem....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Are you using a tube amp? I get slight distortion when I hit more than 1 string at a time but that's what the amp is supposed to do. Mine does that at low settings too and I love it. If you do use a tube amp and that is what causes the overdrive, you should consider getting a solid state amp instead if a clean tone is what you're after.

ReplyQuote
(@chadley)

If using a tube amp, perhaps using a Tube Screamer would make for a cleaner tone? I've read some interviews that claim it produces good clarity, but they're not cheap (I don't have much money to afford one.) I've never really had a problem with my Marshall solid-state as far as clarity goes.

Other than that, check your intonation.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Hmm a tubescreamer does the exact opposite, it makes your amp scream as if it was fully cranked and then some. It's supposed to emulate tubes breaking up at higher volumes.

ReplyQuote