5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Hi to all,

One day I was playing a song in E major scale and when I reached the last chord I made a mistake and put my index finger in the 1st fret of the B string raher than the G string, creating my new-discovered-chord. It sounded more or less well so sometimes I use the progression "E major - my-new-discovered-chord - E major" for finishing the song.

Yesterday, using ChordAndScales.co.uk (Great and useful site! Thanks again!), I verified that my-new-discovered-chord is the Cmaj7 chord! :D

David explains something about one of the Horse With No Name chords, the Dadd6add9, saying it could be the result of a mistake or just exploring the fretboard.

Did you have similar experiences?

(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I "discovered" Fmaj7 pretty much the same way - trying to change to an F chord, didn't get my index fnger down quick enough and left the top E string open - it sounded good, so I kept repeating it....

Same wth Dsus2......I was trying to play a D chord at the fifth fret and only covered the D and G strings.....

Mstakes aren't always a bad thing are they!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Hi Vic,

I agree! The mistakes or, in general, errors are a very important part of the learning process, in adults, children and even machine learning.

I think the funny thing here is that sometimes we can recognize the mistake and also that the new sound/chord can be used for new progressions/songs.

(Dogbite: Thanks for your kind answer.)

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I discover new chords every time I pick up my guitar. I've made such wonderful discoveries as the immortal Gbum7. :lol:

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote