Clear all

Distortion and Pedals

41 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I'll have to start saving my money then. I probably shouldn't be worried about effects at this stage in the game but I read somewhere that distortion has gone beyond just being an effect. Most people now just think that's how a lead guitar should sound.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Compressor has nothing to do with tube amps: it basically lowers the peak volumes and increases the soft passages. In other words: it levels the sound adding sustain and fatness to the sound. Depending on it's level you can use it to boost the pre-amp, increasing the gain. The tube/volume thing you're referring to are the Hotplates, powersoaks etc.

Don't get the Spider, any spider, ever. They seem cool the first few minutes but are disastrous after that. Plastic, thin and lifeless sound. It's just my opinion, but I can see beginners develop horrible picking dynamics when using that amp. The effects are nasty as well, and since there is no FX loop you are pretty much stuck with them. DOn't get it. It's just that bad. Far better choises in it's priceclass are the Roland Cube ($119-$350) and Vox Valvetronix ($179-$799) series. Heck, even your basic frontman would be a better choice!

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I've checked several reviews for the Spider II 15 and the most people say they love the effects and its suited to the play styles of Nirvana etc. The sound is loud and hard too. The only complaint I have found about it is its not quite loud enough for gigs.

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

I've heard only good things about the Spider II as well.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@lord_ariez)
Reputable Member

If u just want a smaller amp, take a look at alessis spitfire... they might be called wildfire's now. But I have a little 15 watt one thats allot of fun. Think I payed $250 CA for it

'You and I in a little toy shop, bought a bag of balloons with the money we got"

feel free to talk with me on msn at [email protected]..... no icq anymore

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

People tend to love or hate the Line 6. (I'd give Arjen's opinion some weight, because he has tried out alot of the cheaper end gear.) If possible go to a store and try several different brands/models, including ones you can't afford. It's really the only way.

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Amp reviews have to do with many things, taste being just one of many. If you take a look at harmony central you'll quickly see most reviews are utter crap. The worst reviews are about beginner equipment. The real problem is that, in general, beginners buy beginner stuff. And many beginners don't really play that many amps, or know that much about how to create a sound. So they replace their 5W gorilla amp with the Spider, and write a review 10 minutes after receiving it. Ofcourse it sounds much better. And no, it doesn't "really sound like a tube amp!!!!!!". So while it would be a step-up for you, you could do way better.

In my opinion amps should have a few basic qualities. One being that what you play get's properly amplified: if I hit softly I want to hear not only different volume but also a different tone then when I strike hard. This used to be a near-exclusive property of tube amps but solidstate amps have come close to mimicking this. The spider didn't. Also check out the Spider samples, and espescially the clean ones. What you'll find is insane ammounts of chorus and reverb to 'hide' the lackluster basic sound of the amp models. The effects really lack a proper ammount of paramters. They are there, they are fun to check out but once you have a sound in your head the Spider will do nothing to bring it out, simply not possible. So you get very mediocre amp models and some basic effects, and they make samples and presets with insane effect levels so it seems like it is something. But the relatively small problem of too heavy effects then become the huge problem of having quality issues with the very core of your amp: the models.

Anyway, my opinion is just that: my opinion. But it is based on a period of trying a LOT of amps in this pricerange since I needed a small and portable amp. I've tried all kinds of Fender, Marshall, Vox, Roland, Zoom, Behringer, Ibanez and Line6 beginner amps, among others. And in my opinion there is a thin line between whats a matter of taste and what's just an obvious flaw and line6 crossed it with the Spider series. It's the reason why I always refuse to test a guitar through a Spider, no way you can hear small differences with such an amp.

In any case, try it and see what you like. I can see it being a good amp for Screamo-Gangsta-Metal, where dynamics and subtleties aren't as required as in other genres of music.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I'll probably see if I can try it before I buy it. I have heard demos of it and it sounded pretty good. And you do have a point, it could be beginners writing reviews just after receiving it. Though I do know one review is from an editor of a site who has been playing for quite sometime and even used the Spider I's.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

hey onewingangel. I have a Boss Distortion pedal.
I got it years ago and never use it.

if you can give it a nice home it's yours.

I emailed you.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@scott_r)
Trusted Member

I can't offer an opinion on the Line 6 products, but I can tell you that I love my Vox Valvetronix. I got the 15W version, I wish I'd have gotten the 30W, but, oh well. It has great sound, more effects than I know how to use, and it just plain looks cool.

I've never heard anyone who owns one of these say a bad word about it, for whatever that's worth.

ReplyQuote
(@lord_ariez)
Reputable Member

You can also never go wrong with a marshall, most of them dont have as many effects as the spider's. But the overdrive on them is sure something!

'You and I in a little toy shop, bought a bag of balloons with the money we got"

feel free to talk with me on msn at [email protected]..... no icq anymore

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3