Notifications
Clear all

DJ mixer & Guitar

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@dj360)
Topic starter  

hi everyone first of all, this is my first post and my first question...

can i hook a guitar to a dj mixer (pioneer djm 800, allen & heath xone 92) on one empty channel? i don't know what cables and extra gear are required if this is possible, the ideea is to have a beat playing from a laptop/turntable/cd player on one, two or why not 3 channels and a guitar over on a 4th channel. i guess it goes without mentioning that i`m refering to an electric guitar. :D

thanks!

(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

I guess it would depend on what sort of inputs the mixer has available. I haven't worked with DJ gear much.

On the 2 mixers you mentioned most of the inputs are RCA type jacks, which are typically a line input (around -10dBm, IIRC), or Mic inputs (-50dBm or thereabouts).

A guitar's signal is typically between these levels.

You could use a guitar pre-amp and the line ins (with 1/4 inch to RCA y-cord adapters), or turn the levels (both guitar out and mic in) down and use a mic input.

Don't bother using a phono input. Those have an equalization curve built-in that doesn't sound good with anything but a turntable (it's a de-emphasis equalization used to counteract the pre-emphasis that is on vinyl)

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@dj360)
Topic starter  

yeah, i forgot about the mic input and adapters, thanks!

ReplyQuote
(@mmoncur)
Estimable Member

The short answer is yes, it should work on a line-level input or a mic input, although the levels won't be perfect. Best is probably to get an adapter and use mic in like Kent said.

You might want to invest in something like a Line 6 Pocket Pod ($129) - that will give you a line-level signal into your mixer with amp simulation and effects so it sounds more like a "real" electric guitar. I use one with my studio mixer and it works well.

ReplyQuote
(@dj360)
Topic starter  

thanks you guys, really usefull info!

ReplyQuote