Skip to content
do I need a humidif...

Notifications
Clear all

do I need a humidifier if I have a cheap guitar?

9 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@derfnart)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hi all,

Just wanted to say, I'm a long time site viewer and forum reader, and this is a first time post. Real great site, the lessons are great, keep up the good work.

Back to my question, perhaps its a bit too late to be asking this question now, as its going into my 3rd year with this guitar, but I've had a yamaha guitar that I bought for about $150. Basically, I just play it, and then throw it against the wall, and lug it around with me etc... and that's how I've "taken care" of it for the past three years. I haven't noticed anything wrong with it physically, but it seems like everyone talks about having humidifiers for "the winter". Do I need one? What happens if I don't have one?

-Fred

(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

you probably don't.

When you have wild swings in humidity, for instance the high here one day last week was in the teens, today it is in the upper 50's, then you want to try to ease the transitition.

If it's lasted this long, don't change a thing.

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Welcome to the asylum for the musically insane.

I seem to recollect reading on Taylor's website that keeping a guitar in its case will protect it against most changes in humidity unless you live in a climate that's very arid.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Humidifiers have become a big buzzword in the last 3-4 years. You can overdo it even with an expensive, solid top guitar. Gibson has just released a notice on November 18 (on their website under "Features" as "Preventing Dry Guitar Syndrome") cautioning not to use the humidifier preventively, but only to use it when signs of drying are seen, such as the action getting lower from the top sinking.

The techs at my local guitar store got a new Taylor brought back in ruined by overuse of a humidifier a few months back. The bridge was pulling up and the pickguard peeling off. At less dramatic levels, too much humidity will make your action go higher, tends to muffle the guitar's tone, and cracks the finish.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

Yeah, if the wood takes on too much moisture it won't resonate as well. It's the same reason you shouldn't be loading up your fretboard with lemon oil every month.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

If your guitar is all laminate you probably don't need a humidifier. If you have an all solid wood or solid top, you'll need one if the humidity in your home is below 50%. If the humidity is above 80% you could need a desiccate pack in your case. The best thing for your guitar is to keep it in a solid case when your not playing it. IMHO.

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

Well, from what I've read 50% is the high end and 35% low...

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

I was just looking at the Taylor recommendations and they say 45% to 55% is optimum. below 30% you start having problems. Didn't see a upper limit and don't remember where I heard the 80% number. It stays between 50% and 70% in my house and I haven't had any problems yet. I don't use a humidifier in my Tacoma.

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
(@derfnart)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the replies... the input seems pretty variable, but I'm going to just agree with Nick from the first post. It seems like if it ain't broke, I shouldn't try to fix it. My guitar has looked and played the same for years now, so I'm guessing, that whatever I'm doing is consistent enough for it.

ReplyQuote