Skip to content
does it matter I wo...

Notifications
Clear all

does it matter I wound string 'wrong way' at tuning peg?

15 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
16.8 K Views
(@jenny-b)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

hmm.. just starting to feel pleased with myself for changing a string for the first time, when I went to tune it and realised that I wound it around the peg the opposite way to normal - so now to tune up I turn the peg clockwise instead of anticlockwise.. does this matter at all? will it sound different? is there a reason for which way round it goes or is it just convention?
:oops: feeling kinda silly..! Should I take it out and start again?

(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

It's not going to make any difference at all to the sound - the string will still be the same length from bridge to nut, whether you tighten it clockwise or anticlockwise. Just be careful when you're tuning up!

As a matter of interest, on my Fender Tele the strings are wrapped clockwise round the tuning pegs; on my Squier Tele, they're anticlockwise. I've made it a habit of changing the whole set of strings at the same time, though only one string at a time - I don't take all the strings off then put them back on, I take one string off and replace it, then the next, then the next, etc. This means there's no drastic decrease in tension on the neck of the guitar.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

I found, if I wound the string the wrong way, the string would hit the tuning peg below it.
So in my case, it kinda made a difference.
Maybe it doesn't effect the physics of the string but it just looks wrong.
They're wrapped so the string comes off the peg towards the center.

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

And of course, you have to remember to turn the peg the "wrong" way when you're tuning.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@jenny-b)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

thanks, well I'll just leave it as it is then, and wind all the other ones the opp way round too so at least its consistent - does look funny alright but sure as long as it works ok.. :lol:

ok kenrogers, i discovered the hard way what you're talking about :lol: why didn't i listen.. indeed the tuning peg does get in the way! So now i have to do the others the normal way and remember to tune the e string the wrong way.. i can see a year of frustration stretching before me..!

ReplyQuote
(@big-lar)
Estimable Member

thanks, well I'll just leave it as it is then, and wind all the other ones the opp way round too so at least its consistent - does look funny alright but sure as long as it works ok.. :lol:

ok kenrogers, i discovered the hard way what you're talking about :lol: why didn't i listen.. indeed the tuning peg does get in the way! So now i have to do the others the normal way and remember to tune the e string the wrong way.. i can see a year of frustration stretching before me..!

How long would it really take to loosen the string and wrap it the correct way, like the others? Problem solved.

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

You mean I was right!? Well, even a broken clock is right twice a day.
The tuning pegs have an inside (towards the center of the stock) and an outside (towards the edge of the stock)
Wrap them so the string comes down the center of the stock.

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Hi Jenny,

You're certainly not the first to do that. A couple of week ago even the experienced the young lad in the local guitar shop put an entire set on the 'wrong' way round. :)

On the kind of guitar that has 3 tuners on each side there are 3 'left' and 3 'right' as it were. First time I changed a set of tuners I picked the wrong one up first and effectively fitted it upside down. Against statistical probability, I then did the same again until I had fitted all six on the wrong sides. :oops: It looked fine and balanced, but the first time I put the strings on they were wound the right way, yet I still had to turn the pegs the 'wrong' way. Puzzling for a moment until I checked another guitar and had the big D'OH moment!

Spot the difference - the entire set on the right is upside down...

None of it's that big a deal though. You can still play OK - you just get get reminded of your mistake every time you tune up. :)

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

How long would it really take to loosen the string and wrap it the correct way, like the others? Problem solved.

You really don't want to do that. Winding a string one way then winding it the other will weaken the string and it will break and/or detune more easily. Best to change the string completely or use it with one string strung wrong until it's time to replace or it breaks from natural causes.

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@jenny-b)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

hee hee chris, thank you that does make me feel better! I'm so glad I posted cos I've learned a lot.. I never knew that tuners had an inside or an outside, and definitely not that they could be upside down! :shock: :wink:

:wink: You're making the mistake of underestimating my laziness.. thank you Elektrablue for getting me out of that one.. the real reason is of course the string-weakening thingyummy reason.. yeah that'll do..!

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

On the kind of guitar that has 3 tuners on each side there are 3 'left' and 3 'right' as it were. First time I changed a set of tuners I picked the wrong one up first and effectively fitted it upside down. Against statistical probability, I then did the same again until I had fitted all six on the wrong sides. :oops: It looked fine and balanced, but the first time I put the strings on they were wound the right way, yet I still had to turn the pegs the 'wrong' way. Puzzling for a moment until I checked another guitar and had the big D'OH moment!

By random chance alone it's not that improbable.

chance of upside down tuners = 3/6 x 2/5 x 1/4 = 1/20

On average 1 in 20 times it should happen. Way better odds than winning the lottery.

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
(@stellabloo)
Estimable Member

Jenny!!! :D

Happy to see your name in the recent posts! Glad you've been playing enough to change your strings! :D

BUT you don't have wait a whole year to put another set on. Some people seem to swear by changing strings every couple of weeks which is a bit obsessive IMHO but I would change strings at least 3 or 4 times a year. I SWEAR it is like getting a whole new guitar. A nice responsive one that does what your fingers tell it to :wink:

When I first started, I printed out a couple of step-by-step diagrams plus watched a video online multiple times ( cept that sob made it look EASY :evil: ) and each time was a sweaty ordeal but trust me - it's worth it. I keep the peg winder and the wire snips in a pocket on the guitar case, along with a spare set of Martin Silk and Steel acoustic (these particular strings make me feel like a guitar goddess - at least for a few fleeting moments lol :roll: )

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's really all about?

~ why yes, I am available on youtube ~
http://www.youtube.com/stellabloo

ReplyQuote
(@fender-bender)
Trusted Member

On my Strat MIM there is a little guide between the nut and tuning peg for two of the strings. If the string was wound the wrong way it would cause the two particular strings to no longer run a straight line from the bridge to the peg. There would especially be a angle right at that guide that would be a stress point for the string which I would worry about causing a break.
Any thoughts on that being an issue??

More about me here: http://forums.guitarnoise.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=40137

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Yep. Try to wind 'em the right way.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@hiram)
Trusted Member

I think the thing to worry about in this case is the stress on the nut, especially if it's not bone or corian, if it's plastic it sure won't do the nut slots any good.

ReplyQuote