Clear all

Does this sound sensible?

10 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@grumps)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I've only just recently taken up guitar (Yesterday to be precise), and am learning basic chords. My plan is to cover these nice and slowly until I sound them out clearly each time. To exercise and harden my fingers and get to grips with using a pick i'm making my way from an open string up to fourth fret covering one fret per finger, making my way up all 6 strings, then working backwards using the same principle but moving from fourth fret to open. Once I get a bit more confident I intend to do these exercises to a metronome, gradually increasing the tempo as my (hopefully) ability improves. Would this appear to be a sensible way to start or have any of you more experienced players got any tips which would serve as a better starting point? Any input would be greatly appreciated, Thankyou in advance.

(@alangreen)

It's okay, but do pick some songs you like and get to work on playing them.

There's a heap of good material for beginners in the lessons section on this site. Go get 'em....

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@grumps)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I certainly will - thanks. Just thought i'd get a bit of exercise done with my fingers, to make my fingers a bit looser. Make it a bit easier for me to crack on and move towards where I want to be.

ReplyQuote
(@shimone)

All the Best :D

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I agree with Alan Green - carry on with what you're doing, but find some easy songs to play as well. There are a few songs which can be played with only two chords - Horse With No Name, Dance The Night Away (Mavericks) and For What It's Worth (Buffalo Springfield) come to mind. There are literally hundreds, maybe even thousands, that use a I - IV - V progression (A D and E, C F and G, G C and D, D G and A, etc....) and almost as many that feature a I - VIm - IV - V progression - G, Em, C and D; C, Am, F and G.

Once you've learned the open chords you have a huge choice of songs to pick from!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@planetluvver)
Eminent Member

I agree. I don't know what your musical tastes are, but find some songs.

I spent two terms in a group guitar class, but in that time I did not learn one song that I wanted to play. I ended up laying down my guitar for over a decade. I always meant to get back to it, but never really had the motivation that actual playing would produce.

Now I have been practicing for about a month, and I have not missed a single day.

I really like the book by David Hodge.

ReplyQuote
(@grumps)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hi again everyone, just thought i'd update on how things are going. I duly took the good advice offered and have made fair progress. Granted, i'm not Eric Clapton, but all things considered i'm happy with how things are coming along. In fact i'm that happy with my new hobby i'm looking at getting a kit guitar for a project to occupy me. Nothing expensive, just something to potter around with. In fact my 5 year old daughter has even learned a few chords too. She thinks i'm an awesome player (I love it when they're at that naive age, sometimes it helps the ego :lol: ).
But anyway, I just thought i'd exercise my manners and say a big thankyou to those who replied to this post, and indeed to everyone else who has posted contributions on this great forum. I'm coming on in leaps and bounds and loving every second of it, and its mostly down to the wealth of information on here.

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

Thats awesome to hear!! Glad to hear things are moving along well for you. Keep at it and keep learning!!

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@grumps)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Just wondering, I have ordered my kit guitar, and would like to start a thread about it, with a view for possibly getting advice if I encounter any problems. It comes with instructions etc, so I think these should help me in not getting too stuck, but if I were to start a thread in the guitar repair and maintenance section just in case. Sorry if it seems silly, but I cant actually read my screen right now (dropped and broke my glasses so i'm having to dictate this to a friend to type), so I cant see if theres already a thread or something for it.

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

I know I sure like a good guitar project so post away!!!!! I'd like to see how it progresss

Paul B

ReplyQuote