Notifications
Clear all

drum machine?

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@macguy787)
Topic starter  

I'm quickly learning that I'm terrible when there are other instruments around me playing along. When I'm alone, I'm always "on time" in my own mind.

I have Garageband on my mac and I've been messing around with drum loops. Are they customizable and flexible? For example, if I want to create 4 bars of rhythm and include fills at certain points, would I be better off with a drum machine?

Moderators, please move to a different forum if this isn't the right one.

Thanks in advance,

Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

You can use the GB drum loops and also you can create drum loops from scratch. You can also import drum loops created with another program and saves as midi files.

ReplyQuote
(@macguy787)
Topic starter  

let's say there's a song that i like to play along with and i only want the rhythm section. is there any mac software out there that will strip the vocals? (i don't necessarily need to import it to garageband)

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

macguy787, you should be able to customize drum loops on garage band, a drum machine is nice but that too would need to be programmed for specific songs. I have a Boss Dr Rhythm that I have owned for years and it is ecellent but what I use right now is MIDI backing tracks. Programming the machine got to be a drag as I just want to play guitar and sing.

So what about MIDI tracks?

Can you make your own? Yes

Can you download ready made ones? Yes

Can you alter and customize the ones you download? Yes

I have an old computer (plan to use my laptop for live applications) plugged into the mixer. You could use anything though, old home stereo, spare amp ect... You can even convert the MIDI files to MP3 and use an IPod plugged into a stereo PA or amp.

http://www.midi-tab.com/a-k.htm I get a lot of stuff here. Backing tracks ready to go right out of the box.

I use this free program to edit stuff. http://www.anvilstudio.com/

What kind of music do you like to play? Lots of variety out there.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@k5koy)
Trusted Member

I have an excellent drum machine in the Dr Rhythm DR880. This thing really helped me in my timekeeping as a bassist. I think its an indespensable tool. My teacher always wanted me to do every practice seesion with a metronome, and I did, til I got the drum machine. Its way better, it helps you to get over that "Playing with someone" business, and really helps me keep better time. I think anything you are using with any kind of programmed beat is better than nothing, but In my opinion, nothing beats a good drum machine.

Koy Carson
West Texas

**60th Anniversary American Strat
**Carvin AC175 Thinline Acoustic
**Ibanez EW20ZW Electric/Acoustic
**Arbor AJ145CR Jazz
**Peavey Ecoustic 112 Amp
**Peavey Artist 240 Vintage Tube Amp
**Fender Marcus Miller 5 String Bass
**Fender Geddy Lee Signature Bass
**Warwick Corvette 4 string Bass
**Tradition Fretless Bass
**Takamine Hollow body Bass
**Ampeg BA115HP Combo Amp
**Ampeg B2R Amp Half Stack

http://www.myspace.com/k5koy

The "PickKeeper" The ORIGINAL Guitar Accessory
http://everythinglubbock.com/content/marketplace/classifieds/items?cat_id=505&item_id=64601

ReplyQuote
(@bloos66)
Reputable Member

Hi, I am using Garageband a lot, putting together drum tracks to play along to. It's pretty flexible, and if you get the Rhythms Section Jam Pack, you'll have thousands of track/fills to work with. You can also import any other tracks you like to create rhythms. I love it. I also use a Boss Dr Beat DB-60 metronome which has a whole lot of rhythms built-in, and they are somewhat customisable. It's gone a phone-output which I use to plug it into my stereo or even an amp at times.

ReplyQuote