Skip to content
dumb Q- standing up...

Notifications
Clear all

dumb Q- standing up, laying flat, or on side?

14 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@oldnewbie)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I just boght a guitar and heard if you store it in a hard case, you should keep the case standing up....That if you kept it laying downt he neck could warp from uneven weight distribution. How should I store my precious new baby??

http://EricDees.com
http://Soundclick.com/ericdees

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I don't think it'll warp either way. I store mine on their sides or flat, usually on their sides for space saving.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

If it's a custom case, you should be fine either way.

If the guitar is flopping around like a fish in the case, I'd say yeah, you might have a problem.

Always double and TRIPLE check a case that you are buying separate (aftermarket, whatever). I wouldn't always trust a salesman's judgment either, bring the guitar in and make sure it fits like a glove (not too tight though).

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

I just boght a guitar and heard if you store it in a hard case, you should keep the case standing up....That if you kept it laying downt he neck could warp from uneven weight distribution. How should I store my precious new baby??

Any first time new baby causes the proud parent(s) a sleepless night or two. To begin with you feel that they are only really safe when they're in your arms. But eventually it dawns on you that they're quite a bit more robust than you thought and that they can actually even survive a few knocks, bumps and scrapes without expiring.

It's the same with guitars. Enjoy your new baby. :)

ReplyQuote
(@purple)
Reputable Member

Any first time new baby causes the proud parent(s) a sleepless night or two. To begin with you feel that they are only really safe when they're in your arms. But eventually it dawns on you that they're quite a bit more robust than you thought and that they can actually even survive a few knocks, bumps and scrapes without expiring.

They can even survive being dropped.... same thing for guitars too! :wink: Seriously though, most babies get dropped at least once by accident of course. Ever notice that when people try to smash thier electric guitar, it never breaks and then they end up shoving it through the amp or setting it on fire. The guitar survives fine other than perhaps a melted pick guard. The biggest worries is to not leave a gutiar stored with out the proper tension on the neck - so don't leave it down tuned or with a capo on. Also, make sure it doesn't come into too much humidity extreme tempature changes or else the neck might warp - this can usually be fixed because of the truss rod in the neck but for a classical, they don't have truss rods so it is much bigger deal.

It's not easy being green.... good thing I'm purple.

ReplyQuote
(@oldnewbie)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thank you guys so much...your advice was very helpful. And I may finally get some sleep tonight.

http://EricDees.com
http://Soundclick.com/ericdees

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

perfect example why we really missed you while you were gone... :lol:

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@purple)
Reputable Member

Thank you guys so much...your advice was very helpful. And I may finally get some sleep tonight.

I am curious is it an acoustic, classical, or electric?

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

perfect example why we really missed you while you were gone... :lol:

Thanks mate, that's kind of you to say so.

BTW, like your avatar - it gives me a fresh laugh every time. :D

Cheers,

Chris

I must admit that I sometimes do use forums to try and hone up my writing skills... :oops: I actually have two hobbies, music and writing. But I lean heavily on the work avoidance principle.

If I set myself the task of spending a few hours on music practice then I'm sure to end up sloping off to a music forum and blathering on about something..... So I often try to shape it up a little bit before hitting the post button. Whereas if I try and schedule some time to brush up on writing - then, hey, what better way to get out of the task than to sit and play guitar for an hour or two......

Amazing how much progress I've made over the last year or two without doing anything that I actually set out to do! :shock:

ReplyQuote
(@redneckrocker)
Estimable Member

The biggest worries is to not leave a gutiar stored with out the proper tension on the neck - so don't leave it down tuned or with a capo on. Also, make sure it doesn't come into too much humidity extreme tempature changes or else the neck might warp - this can usually be fixed because of the truss rod in the neck but for a classical, they don't have truss rods so it is much bigger deal.
ummmm...... I've always heard that if you are not going to be playing for an extended time you SHOULD loosen the strings to relieve tension?

~Mike the Redneck Rocker.

"The only two things in life that make it worth living are guitars that tune good and firm feeling women" - Waylon

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

The biggest worries is to not leave a gutiar stored with out the proper tension on the neck - so don't leave it down tuned or with a capo on. Also, make sure it doesn't come into too much humidity extreme tempature changes or else the neck might warp - this can usually be fixed because of the truss rod in the neck but for a classical, they don't have truss rods so it is much bigger deal.
ummmm...... I've always heard that if you are not going to be playing for an extended time you SHOULD loosen the strings to relieve tension?

It all depends on what you mean by "an extended time". I think that the people who give that advice are talking about long term storage. It probably also depends on what sort of conditions you are expecting it to have to face. Is it really likely to be in conditions where the neck moves to the degree that it ends up effectively tuned way too high, and therefore under excessive tension?

I have guitars that I play with varying degrees of regularity that can sit with the same strings on, fully tensioned, for months and months. And they come to no harm at all. Guitars are made to take tension. Why would not playing them somehow make them more at risk than when they were being played?

Nick and TRGuitar might know? They both have large collections that must include a few that don't get played for months at a time.

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

All mine hang on the wall 24/7. The only time I have had any problem is when The temperature got Very hot and dry (winter) one of my guitars neck warped slightly although nothing that couldn't be re adjusted with the truss bar.

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@purple)
Reputable Member

It all depends on what you mean by "an extended time". I think that the people who give that advice are talking about long term storage. It probably also depends on what sort of conditions you are expecting it to have to face. Is it really likely to be in conditions where the neck moves to the degree that it ends up effectively tuned way too high, and therefore under excessive tension?

I have guitars that I play with varying degrees of regularity that can sit with the same strings on, fully tensioned, for months and months. And they come to no harm at all. Guitars are made to take tension. Why would not playing them somehow make them more at risk than when they were being played?

Nick and TRGuitar might know? They both have large collections that must include a few that don't get played for months at a time.
Sorry, I didn't mean long term storage. I simply meant if you put your guitar away on Tuesday and then pick it up again on Friday, it is best to be left in tune (or whatever the string tension the truss rod is adjusted for). I don't know proper storage techniques as mine are readily played. I would imagine that if you were advised to reduce string tension for long term storage that the truss rod would also have to be adjusted.

ReplyQuote
(@redneckrocker)
Estimable Member

I've never de-tuned them myself, just what I've always heard. Especially with shipping and long term storage. (although I can't see putting a guitar in storage)

~Mike the Redneck Rocker.

"The only two things in life that make it worth living are guitars that tune good and firm feeling women" - Waylon

ReplyQuote