Clear all

E shaped root 6 barre chord song suggestions

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@jase36)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Can any one suggest a few easy tunes that use only root 6 e shaped barre chords. I cant change from open to the shape but I can hold the shape so any suggestions please.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jase67electric

(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Hi Jase, you might find it easier to change from the open chord to the barre chord if you play the E chord without using your index finger - leave it free for the barre chords.

If you can do E-shaped barres, there's no reason why you can't do Eminor and E7 shaped barres - they just involve lifting a finger, the middle for the minor and the pinky for the seventh. Armed with those, you can do virtually any song. There are literally hundreds of songs that use three or four chords - a very common progression is G, Em, C and D. That'd involve your E-shaped barres at the 3rd fret (G): open or the 12th fret (Em - either 022000 or 12 14 14 12 12 12): barre on the eighth fret for C (8 10 10 9 8 8) and the C chord moved up two frets for D - 10 12 12 11 10 10 or D7 - 10 12 10 11 10 10.

It becomes even easier if you can learn the A-shaped barre chords....barre any fret with your index, and make a second mini-barre two frets up with your ring finger. If you move the E-shaped chord - say a G chord, 3 5 5 4 3 3 - across one fret like so - 3 3 5 5 4 3 - you've got a Cminor chord. Lift your pinky off the Cm chord, you've got Cm7. If you can manage to play 3 3 5 3 5 3, that's the C7 chord.

Anyway, welcome to the wunnerful world of barre chords - they may seem tricky at first, but they'll make life a whole lot easier once you've got them down!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

try the easy song forum, there are a few songs there tabbed for barre chords.

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

You can also convert any song using open chords, by simply replacing each open chord with the same barre chord.

ReplyQuote
(@poorpetebest)
Trusted Member

Just as a suggestion, but you may want try Sister Golden Hair by America. I actually learned this one for 12 string, but it transfers pretty well to 6. It makes great use of the E shape barre chord however there is one change to open E. It's good practice though!

Here is a really good tab for what I'm talking about:

http://www.accessbackstage.com/america/cord/cord056.htm

ReplyQuote