7 Users
0 Likes
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Should I just bar this

(@aroundtheclaxon)
Estimable Member

thats one of those things u just do what feel right i you could ask ten different people and half would do it one way and half the other just do what is easier

Head Arcitech at Vandelay Instudries

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Anybody else? Man, I'm having a heck of a time sliding that F to G chord. The song is Freewill by Rush. I would ask my teacher but he got the axe(no pun intended) Monday. I felt like a ping pong ball at class, no structure at all.

ReplyQuote
(@hummerlein)
Estimable Member

Hmm. I tried the bar, and using a- ring c- index f- middle. I think using 3 separate fingers is easier, but just by the hairs on your chinny chin chin. Remember that you only have to bar the 2 top strings in this situation, not any more. For the context of this song, I wouldn't bar, because it's not really necessary.

Just use that fingering (or a different one if you wanted) and use the open D shape chord for the other parts. No need to bar, really. Unless of course it's easier for you slide the bar, then by all means bar it.

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

I see it's a shift slide so the note must be strummed anyways. I'll keep working on it.

ReplyQuote
(@aroundtheclaxon)
Estimable Member

HEY WHERES THAT FROM IT SOUNDS PRETTY COOL

Head Arcitech at Vandelay Instudries

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

HEY WHERES THAT FROM IT SOUNDS PRETTY COOL

Rush "Freewill"

ReplyQuote
(@ghost)
Prominent Member

Heck yeah! It's on Rush "Exit...Stage Left" that I've got on record. I'll listen to it. I've tryed it and it sounds cool. I don't know what to tell you Sid. Tricky.

"If I had a time machine, I'd go back and tell me to practise that bloody guitar!" -Vic Lewis

Everything is 42..... again.

ReplyQuote
(@johnin510)
Trusted Member

I have Guitar Pro 5. I also have Freewill on tab. By what GPs chord bank says, you do barre all of the chords in the sequence.

I guess it is the "proper" technique

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

just do a partial barre, like on an f chord.

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

I have Guitar Pro 5. I also have Freewill on tab. By what GPs chord bank says, you do barre all of the chords in the sequence.

I guess it is the "proper" technique

I don't always trust guitar pro.
just do a partial barre, like on an f chord.

That's what I've been doing, just a bit tough to slide that bar without loosing the note.

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Using a barre is coming along, albeit slow. So, how to strum those 16th notes. It sounds like he's playing all down but man at a 156 beat that is pretty fast. What do you all think?

ReplyQuote
(@mikey)
Reputable Member

Sid,

I would play the passage with a 3 string bar. My middle (second) finger would play the A on the G string hiding my index on the G#. This way when you get further along all you have to do is drop your middle finger down a string to make a D chord shape. One finger moving up and down a string is as about as efficient as you can get here, I think.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Playing an instrument is good for your soul

ReplyQuote