Clear all

Electric Guitar,What should I get ?

27 Posts
17 Users
0 Likes
(@se7en)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hi everyone, I've decided to buy an electric guitar ( My first Electric Guitar.!) and I'm considering two choices here.

1st , well its obvious ( Fender Strat ) I don't know which one Mexican or USA I know that second is better but it cost double. the question is, is it worth it ? for the first time buyer and player to buy fender USA or maybe I should stick with Mexican !

2nd ,choice is ( Gibson SG ), reason is, is that I just Love this guitar, shape sound, ( I think its sounds heavier that fender ), con is that its much more expensive, and is it worth it??? spending more ?

I wanna buy an instrument not just for fun, I mean don't get me wrong its alot of fun, but to practice hard, simply I want a good instrument for myself,!!

I just wanna hear you thoughts about this two, and what should I do. Thank you

Regards S7. :)

(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Those are both fine choices. Have you tried them out yet?

Sometimes a guitar will 'pick you' instead of you picking it.

What sorts of music are you thinking of getting into - or maybe your goal is more generalized?

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I'd suggest you open your mind up to other brands, you're missing out on a lot by focussing just on these two brands. Considering that you obviously don't know what guitar suits you best and the fact that you can't spend that kind of money without concern I'd suggest you start slowly with a cheaper guitar.

ReplyQuote
(@se7en)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Those are both fine choices. Have you tried them out yet?
No ! I haven't. should I ?
Sometimes a guitar will 'pick you' instead of you picking it.
Thats a good point !!!
What sorts of music are you thinking of getting into - or maybe your goal is more generalized?
I like Rock, or Alt.Rock, Something like Rhcp, Acdc,Led is good, you know usual stuff, you could say general, but rock.
I just wanna start Rocking :D or at least try :roll:

I'd suggest you open your mind up to other brands, you're missing out on a lot by focussing just on these two brands. Considering that you obviously don't know what guitar suits you best and the fact that you can't spend that kind of money without concern I'd suggest you start slowly with a cheaper guitar.
Thank you, but open to what ??? I mean most of Professional music players, play Strat or gibson,!! and whats cheap ? anyway thx alot

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Thank you, but open to what ??? I mean most of Professional music players, play Strat or gibson,!! and whats cheap ? anyway thx alot

You are correct that alot of pros use Gibsons and Fenders but I think the point is that these brands arent always the best guitar. You should go out and try all the Gibbies and Fenders you can get your hands on. But then try all the others too. Shoot, make a day of it.

Then you're gonna spend the rest of your life tryng to satisfy yourself in your playing. Becuase no matter how good you get, you'll always feel like you should be better.

Wish you the best of luck on your search. S7 (Cool nick BTW)

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Fender and Gibson both have their less expensive models - such as the Fender Standard Strats, and Gibson's Epiphone SGs - but as was mentioned above, there are a lot of other brands out there that you could try. Ibanez for example. If you have a guitar/music store near you, you should go down and try a few different models/brands out. Sometimes actually have the guitar in your hands is the best test.

Before you do go to a store, you could browse online places to get an idea of brands/models and prices. Someplace like Musician's Friend - http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitar/navigation/solid-body-six-string-electric-guitar?N=100001+306241

Just to get an idea of what's available.

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Yamaha make some decent electric guitars too, and they're very reasonably priced. My girlfriend's son has one, and one of my students play a Yamaha classical.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@se7en)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks alot guys, when I'm good and ready I will definitely go to guitar shop and try everything not just Gibson and Strat,

and thanks for the link. :D

I hope more people will leave their thoughts. thx

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Maybe you already know about differences in pickup types.....and I'm not an expert to talk about them. Others here can tell you more.

But the basic types I know of are single pickups and humbucker (humbucking) pickups. They have very different sounds from each other, and being aware of those differences might help you categorize the different guitars as you try them out.

Some guitars have some of each type. Descriptions might say HSS, which would mean three pickups--one humbucker and two singles--you can switch between them, using only one pickup or a combination.

The way the guitar feels in your hands, balances in your lap, and hangs from a strap can make a lot of difference in how you like it.

Don't forget to try out the PRS guitars and Hamers, too.

Have fun!

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Try a Schecter C1EA and tell me it aint like "Butter"

Jim :D

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Go with the Mexican Strat.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

Try the Fenders and the Gibsons by all means but don't discount other makes out of hand. As others have said here there are some great guitars made by other people.

Alan suggested looking at a Yamaha. I can strongly recomend the pacifica. A great guitar for the money. When I went to buy my electric guitar I hadn't even considered a Yamaha but having tried it against a number of other guitars in the shop it just felt right.

Whatever you decide enjoy the search and let us know how you get on. With pics of course. :wink:

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Gretsch~ White Falcon :wink:

seriously tho, as was advised in another thread, grab a squier 51 before fender takes "squier" off the label and tacks on another $300 or so.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

Yes, by all means, do consider the other brands besides Fender and Gibson. I happen to own both Fenders and Gibsons, and they are very good guitars, but there are tons of guitars that are very good too, and cost less than $500.

Fenders made in Mexico and Squiers are very good guitars at a fraction of the price of an American Fender. Epiphone makes good copies of Gibson guitars. It used to be, that "good" electric guitars were made in the USA (and UK). But now, there are REALLY nice guitars being made in Asia and Mexico.

Consider the Squier 51, which costs only $99 and is very well liked by many on the board. Come on, $99?!? How can you beat it?? Squier makes many other models, almost all under $200.

My advice is to go to the store and check out all of the models with prices under $500. There will be several there that you will like. Tell the clerk that it is your first electric and you want a good one, but are not going to buy a $1,000 - yet! :wink: Get yourself a decent guitar and LEARN for awhile. Then go buy that "dream" Fender or Gibson!

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

PRS Santana SE all the way!

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2