Clear all

Electric or Acoustic Electric ?

24 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@ekove)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I really don't know anything about guitars but I really want to learn, right now I got this cheap acoustic. I want to learn electric but I am really not sure if I should get electric or acoustic electric. I'd like to play both but I am not sure if an acoustic electric can have a heavy sound for metal, if anybody of you tryed one ( ovasian possibly ) is the sound as heavy as an in price-range normal electric with a decent amp ?

also I was wondering if anybody knows any good looking electrics that aren't above 500$. No offense but most electrics ( not bass ) I've seen have this lame super shinny colors.
Right now I am thinking of an ovasion tangent T357 or CS257. Both are 500$ except the CS comes with a 100$ worth case. Perhaps some of you would think 500$ is too much if I am a beginer, but I am saving up and looking for a long term toy.

Thanks.

(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

You want an acoustic-electric if you want to amplify the acoustic sound and its timbre. But if you want to play "electric" music, you want an electric guitar, probably a solid body for the music you want to play.

And welcome to the asylum for the musically insane.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

From your description it sounds like you are confused on what an acoustic-electric is.
It is just an acoustic guitar with a pickup installed so you can amplify it.
The sound will still be acoustic just louder.

ReplyQuote
(@ekove)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I dunno but I heard some people saying an ovation plays like an electric when you plug it in. It's like a hybrid in sound, Did anybody of you actually try one ?

and also if you say electric, what you recommend for my price range ? you know something that can play modern alternative ( like breaking benjamin, 12 stones, adema, linkin park etc..) Also has none-shinny colors...something black, red or dark blue ?

Thanks for the replies guys.

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

There's a difference in tone -- in timbre -- in part because of the resonance an acoustic possesses. To be sure, there are hollow body electrics whose sound is closer to that of an acoustic-electric, but you tend to hear them more often, I think, in Jazz. The sort of heavier rock you're describing is played on a solid body electric.
Someone else will have to make recommendations for you concerning the specific music styles you mention, but I think that in the end that will be more a matter of how you play the music than of the particular solid body electric you play it on.

-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@ekove)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Ok man one more question, when I listen to songs there are 2 kinds of electric guitar sound I can hear. One is the regular electric I know, wich sounds sharp; pretty much like jazz/old rock n' roll 70s stuff and the other is more like heavy bassful acoustic...if you know what I mean, there's a sharp tone and a heavier ton. Any solid-body guitar plays both ( depending on how you play it ) or it depends more on the type ?

ReplyQuote
(@psychonik)
Reputable Member

give a more specific example of these tones you hear in a song, and you might be able to get some pretty specific answers.

ReplyQuote
(@ekove)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

if you know breaking benjamin, it's the same tone Ben Burnly gets with his guitar in So Cold - Sooner Or Later - Phase - Away.
Also the tone in "12 Stones - Broken", the one between the singing as I remember and "Linkin Park - Don't Stay". That's the heavy tone.

The Light Sharp tone is in for example "Metallica - One" beggining.

If you understand my question I know it's so stupid but I really don't know shit about guitars, where I live there are like 10 people who play electric only.

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

This is just a stab in the dark. But you have to remember that with an electric you can modify the sound a great deal using effects and amp settings -- you can play clean, you can use distortion, overdrive, chorus effects, etc. That will account in part for the differences in sound you hear. And a number of contemporary groups use alternate tunings. There are also baritone guitars -- Dave Matthews likes to use them. So there are many variables to account for the differences you hear. And a number of metal bands, I think, use a 7 string electric and will get some lower tones than you can typically get on a six string, even if you tune down.
Hope that's not too much possibly completely inaccurate information!

-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

The Ben Burley stuff is online at http://www.ovationguitars.com/?fa=artist&id=344

My ears aren't good enough to figure out what's going on...

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote
(@ekove)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

musenfeund thanks for all the info.

Primeta that's his acoustic, his electric is I belive a PRS custem.

Anyway guys all I need now is recommendation, at least I need a brand. I was thinking of an Epiphone or a Kramer ?
And a cheap begginer amp...Diver, Gorilla or epiphone ?

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I am not going to recomend a brand but I will give some details.
Humbucker style pickups (dual coil) deliver the low end crunch sound you described. Single coil pickups are for the more tinny sound you described.
Some guitars come with both styles and you can switch between them.
My electric has 2 sets of dual coils but if I turn the tone all the way to treble and make a few adjustments on my amp I can still get close to the 70s lead sound.

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

Anyway guys all I need now is recommendation, at least I need a brand. I was thinking of an Epiphone or a Kramer ?
And a cheap begginer amp...Diver, Gorilla or epiphone ?

The LAST thing you want to do is buy a guitar based on the little words on the headstock.

What you need more than anything is just to get into the trenches, hear some guitars. If you have any friends or relatives that play any sort of guitar, hang out with them and pick their brains, check out their guitars. Go to a music store and wander around, see everything, touch everything, ask the sales guys to chew your ear off, give you an education.

Right now you're not at a place where you can make a good choice as to what you want, and before you get there, you're going to need a little time exploring the idea.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@ekove)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Well, As I said nobody plays electric where I live, afew of my friends play acoustic but they don't know much.

and thanks for the info missileman.

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

Ekove, you're going to have to try things out, but Epiphone is usually pretty decent as for amps, try out Behringer and Vox. Both should give you a fair amount for your money. Roland is also good but usually pricier.

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2